PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating hand

07-30-2002, 09:35 PM
10-20 game, fairly loose. I'm in the cut-off with

Jc-Jd. 3 limpers to me , I raise, BB calls, all call. 5 to see the flop.

The flop comes J-Q-K rainbow.

Checked to me, I bet, BB raises, MP calls, I re-raise, all call.

The turn is another Q. The board is J-Q-K-Q

Checked to me, I bet, all call.

The river is a K. BB bets out. MP drops.

I know I'm beat, the whole table knows I'm beat, Helen Keller, Stevie wonder, and Ray Charles know I'm beat. The whole play of his hand screams of a K or Q.

So of course I called! Is there anyone out there that's as stubborn as I am, and doesn't lay their hand down?

Results:

$

$

$

The sneaky SOB turn's over pocket 10's and I take it down!

07-30-2002, 09:47 PM
Haven't we seen this situation a lot before? Of

course you made the crying call and won.

So how can the hand be fustrating?

07-30-2002, 10:21 PM
come on, this is a terrible call on my part. Had I not posted the results, which in retrospect was another bad decision, I'd have everyone telling me this is an easy fold. Or do you believe this is a correct crying call?

07-30-2002, 10:22 PM
You need to go to the site below and read "The Fur Coat Dilemma." Some of the best poker wisdom to come off the net.

It's a long-ago 2+2 thread. Sklansky even acknowledges he will change his future writings based on it!

07-30-2002, 10:24 PM
BB didn't reraise on the flop. That plus there is enough in the pot to throw in those "I'm beat" chips.

I have folded a lot of winners, but I would have called also.

07-30-2002, 10:42 PM
I would think that the only reason a person with a K or Q would check the turn is to check-raise; otherwise they bet. The fact that they did not do either gives me reason to call. I only have to be right a small percentage of the time(I didn't calculate the actual %)

07-31-2002, 02:13 AM
The call stinks.

However, you will hardly be costing yourself much by calling one bet on the river with counterfeited full-houses.

07-31-2002, 07:13 PM
What a great post! Thanks Paul.

07-31-2002, 07:15 PM
It is aweful, huh?

08-01-2002, 02:20 AM
Yes, but it's no big deal. You won a 13.5 big bet pot. Now you can make that same call another 13 times, lose every time, and be break-even on calling with counterfeited full-houses. That should last you into the next decade.

I would probably make the same terrible call as well and expect to lose. I don't make big laydowns on the river in bit pots. I make my big laydowns early in the hand.