PDA

View Full Version : Bluffing with 3 flush on board

07-30-2002, 06:17 AM
I've recently starting bluffing more when the flop comes with 3 suited cards and I think nobody has the flush yet or any other strong hand like a set or two pair.

This is somewhat similar to picking up pots on an unraised K22 rainbow flop. Pocket threes could call you, but is it worth it?

The success that I've seen so far has made the effort worthwhile. Usually it's a semibluff raise on the turn followed by a bet on the river. Sometimes, they just fold on the turn if I raise.

Has anyone else been doing this for a while? Maybe I've just gotten lucky recently, so I'd like to know if others have added this to their game and use it when they can.

Thanks,

soda

07-30-2002, 02:26 PM
At the levels I play (30-60 and above) many players are aware this is a bluffing opportunity and it's much more difficult to get away with a simple bluff. Often if you bluff at this you will be raised to "find out" if you are bluffing and then what do you do? I must confess I haven't done well in these situations - mostly because I too often convince myself someone is bluffing back at me and stay around too long when I'm beat.

Recently I've decided that being the one raising a potential bluffer is cleaner. If I then get played back at I can release with certainty that I'm against a real hand. In other words, I now attempt to catch others who are bluffing at the pot.

So, it depends on the game. In tight, passive games where people will frequently fold unless they have a flush or flush draw, I will bet a suited board. In more aggressive games, I'll try to re-bluff on occassion but have to watch not to do this too often.

Claude

07-30-2002, 08:56 PM
I think alot of this depends on how you execute the bluff. I watched a better player do it masterfully under the gun. Five people saw the flop that was two suited. Bluffer was utg, he checked next player raised, next two called, utg check-raised, everyone called. A blank hit, UTG check, Next Player(NP) bet again, two players folded, bluffer called. The flush card came up Bluffer raises, NP flashes two pair and folds. I was personally shocked that NP layed down the hand, but more shocked that the bluffer flashed Ace High, and dragged. I would have bet my left *** that he hit the nut flush. I guess I was more impressed that the bluffer realized the players involved would put him on the flush draw when he check-raised for value.

-J