PDA

View Full Version : ready to move up?

jt1
08-25-2004, 05:44 AM
I only play PP 3/6. Ultimate Bet doesn't accept my bank card, and I haven't heard any good things about the other sites. And because PP doesn't have good game selection for the 5/10 or 10/20 full tables, I want to move directly to 15/30.

After 70,000 hands, I earn 2.4 BB/100 hands. 20,000 of these hands are PT and 50,000 are from when I kept track of these things myself.

A player earning just 1 BB/100 hands at the 15/30 level while playing 3 games at once, earns about $9.00 an hour more than a player winning 3 BB/100 at 3/6 playing 4 games at once. So naturally, I'm eager to move up. So does anyone believe that my 2.4 BB/100 win rate isn't yet good enough to make money at 15/30?

Futhermore, I'll deposit a total of $9000 into my PP account. This will only leave me with $2500 disposable income. The good news is that I live in Africa where I can get by on $300/month. Nevertheless, psychologically, does anyone doubt that I'll play as well with so little in reserve.

Thanks in advance /images/graemlins/smile.gif

House-Lion
08-25-2004, 07:04 AM
Why do you say party/empire does not offer good game-selection for the 5/10?

Sure there are plenty of rocks there but also quite a few +30% flop-seen or much worse there, specially during the US-evening and night.

jt1
08-25-2004, 07:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you say party/empire does not offer good game-selection for the 5/10?

Sure there are plenty of rocks there but also quite a few +30% flop-seen or much worse there, specially during the US-evening and night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to play between 4 AM and 10 AM. There aren't as many full handed tables at both 5/10 and 10/20 at Party. I would learn to play the 6 max tables, but hold 'em is my sole source of income and don't want to spend time making $2/hr practicing at the 1/2 6 max games.

House-Lion
08-25-2004, 07:29 AM
Well, but there usually are a few games going on at those times, infact I think there are more 5/10 going on than 3/6.

I sugest you try play at different time on 5/10 and maybe 10/20 to see if you actually can beat those levels.

I do not have experience of 15/30 but my guess is it's even more aggressive and that you will have to challenge several online-poker-experts.

Brian
08-25-2004, 07:42 AM
Hi jt,

I suggest not making a jump from 3/6 to 15/30, eager beaver. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif The average level of aggression is much higher even at 5/10 compared to 3/6. I suggest trying your hand at 5/10 first for at least 20k hands or so, then move up to 10/20, etc.

Next, 9k is not enough for the 15/30 games. If you lose 6k, you'll definitely have to move down. And I've lost 6k at 15/30 before, as have many others. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

While you have a good winrate at the lower limits, the higher limit games are chock full of better players, meaning your win rate will certainly drop, and the aggression level is much higher, meaning that your standard deviation will rise. Combine that with the fact that going from 3/6 to 15/30 will probably have you playing scared money, and I'd definitely advise against jumping right into it.

-Brian

[EDIT]: In response to your worries about 5/10 and 10/20 game selection, I agree it is a bit sour between 4 A.M. and Noon EST. I know because these are the main hours at which I play as well. However, they are still plenty profitable, and you will find many players who don't know what they are doing at all.

Is there any way you could play at another time? Are you doing anything besides playing poker? All I do with my life currently is play poker, yet I still can't seem to get myself on a Noon to 4 A.M. schedule. Pretty pathetic, but I can sympathize with you if that's also your problem /images/graemlins/wink.gif

jt1
08-25-2004, 08:05 AM
Brian,

Thanks a million for your poste. (or at least a few thousand dollars) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

It is logistically impossible for me to play during the peak hours. Does anyone know any sites, besides UB, that have abundant 5/10 games?

easypete
08-25-2004, 08:09 AM
Have you tried any of the European sites?

I don't really have experience there, but there should be something.

Kluddeludde
08-25-2004, 09:13 AM
No, not really. Most sites have limited tables open and unless you are a proficient NL player I wouldn't advise playing there.

Kludde

Brian
08-25-2004, 10:20 AM
Hi jt,

No problem. I was and pretty much still am in the same situation that you are. However, I am a bit more hard-headed than you are, and it took me a couple thousand dollars to learn what I've just told you. /images/graemlins/wink.gif Despite having many friends tell me it was a bad idea, I had to see it for myself. Of course, I could've had the smallest modicum of luck, and I might be a heroin millionaire bathing in that oh-so-juicy 15/30 fish money. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The Stars 5/10 games surprisingly aren't that bad from Noon-4 A.M., and you can play as many tables as you like. The Paradise games are pretty crappy though.
-Brian

sthief09
08-25-2004, 10:25 AM
how about playing 5/10 6-max? you learn to play better in small pots, you'll learn to play in more aggressive games, and you've got a big enough bankroll to give it a try. plus, there are a ton of those games going on at all times.