PDA

View Full Version : Howard Lederer thread

jwvdcw
08-25-2004, 03:59 AM
Gets a brutal beat to knock him out on the river, congratulates his opponent, talks to the camera about how disappointed he is, and is classy as can be throughout the entire thing. He deserves his own thread. One of my favorite players. One of the best and one of the classiest.

uw_madtown
08-25-2004, 04:25 AM
Agreed. Personally, I find coverage of Lederer, Brunson, Negreanu, and Jesus to be much more interesting and worthwhile simply because amongst the pros we've seen on television, they're incredibly talented AND classy. I'd rather watch video packages on Lederer than another "The Nuts" or montage of the Crew.

Same goes for Hellmuth, Matusow, and every other annoying egotistical jerk. For every one of the jerks that are talented, there's plenty of class acts that are just as talented...

Tough beat for Howard. Best of luck to him in the future, and with Full Tilt as well. It would be great to see more of him on television.

- UW

Daliman
08-25-2004, 04:27 AM
Nowhere near a brutal beat, and barely a bad one. That said, yes, he is a class act.

3rdEye
08-25-2004, 06:15 AM
He may be my favorite player. Definitely a true class act, and one of the best. I'm rooting for him in the Superstars Invitational, although I'm sympathetic to Brunson and Ivey as well.

jaydoggie
08-25-2004, 06:33 AM
Lederer is one of my favorites as well, that being said, go back to the WPT Paris in the first season. Tony G (?) the obnoxious australian knokced him out on the final 2 tables i believe (unsure about this too) but the one thing i know for sure, howard was very angry and when the Australian extended his hand to say good game howard jumped back and gave him the dirtiest look ive ever seen a pro give to anyone.

pretty classy /images/graemlins/wink.gif

drewjustdrew
08-25-2004, 08:37 AM
I would have to think from his reaction when he got knocked out that winning the WSOP is not the top goal on his agenda. He keeps poker in perspective. I understand that he wins or loses at least the $10,000 buy-in in most cash game sessions, so getting knocked out of this tournament is not the end of his poker year. That being said, if he ever won, he would cash in big time based on his persona.

Daliman
08-25-2004, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
howard jumped back and gave him the dirtiest look ive ever seen a pro give to anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Untrue. See Men the master's look of death Day one WSOP 2004 getting KO'd with AA.

jwvdcw
08-25-2004, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nowhere near a brutal beat, and barely a bad one. That said, yes, he is a class act.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a bad beat in terms of his opponent playing poorly, but definitely tough to handle. He flopped top set, checked it to set a trap, his opponent goes all in, he calls, and loses. Thats tough. Nothing he could've done there.

27offsuit
08-25-2004, 02:40 PM
Man, that guy has had some pretty rough suck-outs as of late.

Big fan of Howard.

One more observation. Either on WSOP or the superstars one recently, Howard had on some jeans that were faded on the front of the legs (a la the latest fashion). I thought "Man, Howard's getting a little style." Then I realized it was actually just a VERY old pair of jeans. HA!

Never change Howard. Never.

Ledererfan
08-25-2004, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
.... He deserves his own thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll second that motion. Perhaps he isn't the best, but he is my Favorite player of all. But then again, maybe he IS the best!!! Go far, Howard!

screw "the crew"
08-25-2004, 04:44 PM
"If looks could kill, we'd have a homicide"
-Norman Chad, referring to 2003 WSOP when Howard and Men were at the featured table

3rdEye
08-28-2004, 03:05 AM
I haven't seen many of the Season 1 WPT episodes (didn't get into poker until late last year), so I haven't seen that episode with Tony G. From what I've seen, however, Lederer appears to be a very smart, well-mannered player.

jdl22
08-28-2004, 05:19 AM
The thing about Lederer is that based on what they show on tv he is the player that many of us here would like to be like when we are playing. When they show him he seems to always think through every move, and seems to never get caught up in emotions. He normally outplays his opponents as well. Also he seems to take catching bad cards in relatively jovial way.

The most typical is the razz on ESPN. HL clearly played better than the others and while he was clearly getting very frustrated with repeatedly catching high cards or 3 pair he still seemed good natured.

PukaPlaya
08-28-2004, 06:57 AM
Class Act.

Smart Player.

His sister gets on my nerves sometimes but that has nothing to do with his or her play. They are both excellent players.

Sent
08-28-2004, 02:25 PM
His play is amazing on the second Superstars episode where he comes back to win.

-Sent

maurile
08-30-2004, 01:12 AM
Howard is definitely a class act; and the essays on his website (http://www.howardlederer.com/article1.html) are all a terrific read.

He and Erin Ness are my two favorite poker players.

NLfool
08-30-2004, 03:23 AM
First of all I think the people who say "please he didn't get bad beated" are on fvcking crack. Yes nobody likes a bad beat story but according to the smuck wanna be I'm so hardcore pros, 3 outers are not bad beats, nor are 2 outers.

Now for a preflop raise of 3k then shoving in 35-40k a piece on a 2.5 - 1 favorite is a bad beat when you lose. When lots of money goes in obviously someone is going to get some piece of flop.

No one is going to move in 40k with J9 unsuited and no chance of winning. When large amounts go in 70% is one of the better percentages you can have minus the set vs. overpair likely scenario when large amounts are also pushed in.

So please spare us the it's not a bad beat line. Maybe someday someone can post about how x was drawing dead but still somehow won and then the internet pros can finally say there exist a bad beat. And yes taking such a beat at the main event of the WSOP does qualify as more of a bad beat than if the same thing happens in the weekly Bellagio tourny.

And yes Hellmuth belongs with Lederer in the top rung of tourny players. It's once in a blue moon if that when I see these two put in large amounts of chips when they are behind, and it would cripple their stack.

RiverTheNuts
08-30-2004, 04:12 AM
I was wondering when someone was gonna do this...

Lederer is my favorite player... calm, cool, collected, and insanely smart... I hardly ever see him make a bad play. He handles bad beats as well as is possible.

I agree with the above poster that says that he is the personification of what most of us want to be like at the table.

Senor Choppy
08-30-2004, 11:02 AM
Lederer is not my favorite player to watch, but is the person who's behavior I try to emulate given how much of a class act the guy is.

Having said that, it's really fun watching the guy take beats for some reason /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Officer Farva
08-30-2004, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Having said that, it's really fun watching the guy take beats for some reason

[/ QUOTE ]

True that. I got a semi-long one when "Texas Dolly" rivered the spade.

BarronVangorToth
08-30-2004, 01:06 PM
There are lots of successful players that I admire for their ability and accomplishments, and while I'm loathe to say I have an absolute favorite player on the pro circuit, if I had to cut it down to three, he'd be on it without question. He is obviously an amazing poker player, presents himself well, always is classy with his opponents, and from a few friends that I know that have personally had the pleasure to meet him, they have told me he was a nice guy and willing to chat for a moment and answer their questions.

In short: a top player and a top human being. Few people in the world can be both.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

sonny black
08-30-2004, 01:18 PM
Howard is one of the 10-15 best players on the planet, also wonderful in person to the fans, That said I always ask myself one question before I play a hand that is "What would Erik Siedel do?"

Sponger15SB
08-30-2004, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but he is my Favorite player of all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prove it.

Scooterdoo
08-30-2004, 04:25 PM
Just finished his sister's book about her life and the family -- not his sister Annie, but his sister Cathy wrote the book. The book claimed to be about growing up in a poker family with two famous poker playing siblings. While the book did focus a bit on Howard and Annie it was actually more about Cathy's fairly average life. What was interesting was the picture it painting of Howard which is much different than the one we get from TV. It turns out that he actually went to NYC when he as very young (around 19-20), played poker and bet on sports in back room clubs, lived very meagerly and sometimes in the streets until he got good. He got busted and put in jail a few times, mostly because the police thought him and his pals were running illegal bookie operations when they were in fact betting for themselves (which was legal I think). Howard comes across as very cool, tough, caring for his family and brilliant at poker. The picture the book painted which I think was close to the truth is really much more fasinating and attractive to me than the poker professor story we hear on TV. After reading the book I went to Howard's website (www.howardlederer.com) and found some fascinating articles and trip reports. Great reading.

Dan Mezick
08-30-2004, 07:55 PM
c'mon now it's Katie not Cathy (Lederer). Let's stick to the basic facts about the author.

felson
08-30-2004, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
c'mon now it's Katie not Cathy

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny. My copy says Katy.