PDA

View Full Version : Low/medium pocket pairs, out of position late in SNG

Benholio
08-25-2004, 03:26 AM
Hand #1:
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed)

Hero (t710)
MP (t930)
Button (t3830)
SB (t1205)
BB (t1325)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Hand #2:
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed)

Hero (t1420)
MP (t480)
Button (t2830)
SB (t2580)
BB (t690)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Final Pot: t300

Would you push with these hands to try and pick up the blinds? What kind of value does a pair like this have out of position at this point in the tournament? In both cases my stack is roughly 7BB, but my relative chip position is very different in the two hands. Assume no reads on any opponents.

Jason Strasser
08-25-2004, 03:36 AM
first is easy push

second is a usual push unless u have a very strange table that will call with tons of hands

push both u wont be wrong

lastchance
08-25-2004, 03:51 AM
Yeah, I agree. You've got to find a way to pick up chips, and 6s aren't the worst cards to do it with, even UTG.

Lori
08-25-2004, 06:44 AM
Second case I personally like to mini-raise unless the big stacks are great players, because the BB won't just cold call anyway and I can happily fold to the two large stacks and change my plan to one of limping for third.

If either short stack calls then he is going to be calling an all in anyway, so I save chips on the occasions that I'm the one being set in rather than doing the setting in.

Edit: If you are not happy folding this hand, you must push.

Lori

Robert Ezzo
08-25-2004, 10:14 AM
First one is an easy push.

Second one I agree more with Lori on.... I wouldn't push that, as a call by one of the shortstacks (quite possible) could hurt you if they win the hand. I'd rather wait for a better position to steal the blinds on, and let the larger stacks beat the crap out of the shortstacks.