PDA

View Full Version : Amount to sit down with?

imported_turvalon
08-25-2004, 02:34 AM
What would you say is the proper amount to sit down at a table with? I usually just sit with whatever the computer defaults to, but sometimes I find that it isn't enough.

is there "rule" like the 300BB bankroll for the amount to bring to the table?

pistol78
08-25-2004, 02:45 AM
at least 25bb i like 50BB,

Rudbaeck
08-25-2004, 07:15 AM
Sit down with the default, in limit that's ok. Some tables you just are going to lose at. Cards run against you, you're playing style meets a playing style that just seems to eat your stack. There are two sharks at the table. It happens.

Rebuy before you drop under 12 big bets though. (I leave it as an exercise for the reader to figure out why.)

If you sit down at a no limit or pot limit table buy in for the maximum allowed, and rebuy if you drop any significant amount. (Do keep CLOSE watch over how much you've rebought for though, or this will eat away any bankroll faster than you can say ketchup.)

QuickLearner
08-25-2004, 11:52 AM
Your post made me think quite a bit. In the past I've always sat down with twice the default because I don't like to rebuy; but I can see a strategy that I never thought about: Sit in with the default, if losing make a decision at 50% (if bad beats by players who you can handle then rebuy, if I'm outplayed find a new table).

The benefit may be nothing or a confirmation of a personal bias, which I will find out. I've always seen a rebuy as a weak move by someone who doesn't know when he's outplayed. If others share that, then my rebuy under the correct circumstance is EXACTLY what I want weaker players to think. If they're weak I won't worry if they turn aggressive on me.

Hitting the 12BB point would obviously trigger the same decision point. Thanks for the "AHA!" moment.

Rudbaeck
08-25-2004, 12:30 PM
You almost earned whole jar of cookies, you missed only one reason. Though you got all the tricky reasons.

The one left out is why the rebuy 'has' to happen at 12BB at the latest. (Hint: This number actually varies some depending on which site you play.)

Hiding
08-25-2004, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sit down with the default, in limit that's ok.

[/ QUOTE ]
Except at stars, the default is 10BB (or is for me, anyway to change that?) which isnt enough, because the 12BB is important. I like to bring no less than 25BB.

Wahoo91
08-25-2004, 12:53 PM
I like to sit down with 4x the standard. I have found that other players fear my aggression more when I have a big pile of "chips" in front of me and that suits my game.

Note a big stack will hinder a "I suck at poker" table image if that is what you are going for.

wayabvpar
08-25-2004, 01:26 PM
I start every table with 20bb religiously- makes tracking my progress (or lacktherof!) easier. 25bb is probably better, but 20bb is 2x the minimum at Stars, which makes it easy to do on the fly.

Sarge85
08-25-2004, 02:09 PM
Some sites you have to type over your entire bankroll, or just sit with your entire bankroll - I'm generally to lazy to remove my hand from my mouse, so I've sat with over 1k several times (playing $1/$2) - I'm thinking of Pokerroom.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

LeapingGnome
08-25-2004, 03:08 PM
At Party .5/1 the default is $25, I always just do this and have never had a problem, never needed to rebuy. But at Stars, it's only 10 so I would change it there. I think 20-30BB is a good number.

QuickLearner
08-25-2004, 03:14 PM
Gimmie the rest of my cookies. I know the 12 BB reason, but I didn't want to spoil it for wveryone else.

Really.

No, really.

wdbaker
08-25-2004, 03:28 PM
You always need to make sure you have enough money to jam the pot on all streets if you hit the big one.

That means about 12bb at limit and a full buy in at NL

You must be able to maximize earnings when its your turn

One Street at a Time
wdbaker Denver, Co

AncientPC
08-25-2004, 04:22 PM
Also if you find yourself rebuying aplenty at a NL table and only see big stacks, you should probably find another table or reevaluate your play. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Then again it could just be because of a bad stretch of cards or a few bad beats, but then again it could be poor play.