PDA

View Full Version : How to post a hand?

07-16-2002, 04:00 AM
You know sometimes we at TwoPlusTwo post a hand dealing with Hold'em, but at times there is no format for the post. We should follow a Universal Chart such as the MCU poker Chart that Mike Caro has designed. This will give us a better understanding of the hand and we can easily go to each betting round and try to analyze it a little better than paragraph form.

If you are familiar with that chart Also we can take it one step further and list what type of player or players we are up against such as

LA-loose agressive

TP-Tight Passive

and so on.....

I think if we don't being to follow a Universal format it will be much difficult to Analyze hands and many things will be lost in the paragraph form. It is much easier to follow; curt and right to the point, also we can subscript as Mike Caro does and footnote. I think if we don't adapt a universal method soon, we won't get as far as we want to be.

Just a suggestion.

Maybe Mason and his Website corresponders can come up with something that can improve this aspect.

How do you feel?

What are your suggestions?

07-16-2002, 09:31 AM
"I think if we don't begin to follow a Universal format it will be much difficult to Analyze hands and many things will be lost in the paragraph form."

I don't see how removing giant chunks of information from the telling of a poker hand would improve the ability to analyze. The hands I find hardest to understand (and that's why I rarely reply to them) are the ones with few words. The amount of info we are bombarded with while we make our betting decisions is too huge to ever put in a post. But we can at least try, to share the parts we feel important. What you're suggesting, if I understand you right, is to create a standard that would treat all poker hands as if they were played online. Bad idea, IMO.

Tommy

07-16-2002, 01:05 PM
Mikey,

Poker players by their very nature do not conform to standards.

But I'd be happy if everyone used paragraphs where applicable and took care to use, for example, KsQs for King of spades Queen of spades and KQ suited instead of KQs (which can be either from what I have seen).

Otherwise, I agree with Tommmy.

Regards,

Rick

07-16-2002, 04:09 PM
i am not saying that there shouldn't be any paragraph form, but we can use this at the bottom of the chart. If you have read Mike Caro's Book of Tells or picked up any literature on his play of hands, it is clear how the format is set up.

Also he footnotes a certain point in the betting round by adding a subscribt #. At that point, you can refer to the bottom of the chart and at the number gives the logic for why you either checked, bet, or raised. You can also subscript a certain point in the game to show where maybe you have learned something. I don't really disagree with how we write our posts, I just thought that doing this might make for a good idea, especially when you want to analyze a hand.

07-16-2002, 07:30 PM
"... to create a standard that would treat all poker hands as if they were played online. Bad idea, IMO."

Tommy,

If you never played online you might want to do it just to keep the "edge" on your game. Being able to get hand histories is an execellent way to Quality Control you own play. Also, I use an very good tool called pokerstat that shows me a bunch of info about which starting hands are profitable in which positions, etc. Very cool stuff. Something to think about. Course I'm still working on my game. YMMV.

07-16-2002, 07:55 PM
PokerStat, how can I get my hands on that??

I want that.

07-16-2002, 09:46 PM
http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=pokerstat&tg=dl-2001

07-17-2002, 02:21 AM
"If you never played online you might want to do it just to keep the "edge" on your game."

A reasonable suggestiong I'm sure. Thanks. My experience at online poker is vast and over. I'm writing up the full length and calling it The Poker Machine. Hard to work on it because the nastiness of the taste in my mouth is much like another addiction currently under control (cigs).

Short version: I was one of the first of the first $10-20 gang at Paradise. Made a good living in my underwear for four months, and figured I'd just travel the world playing poker in hotel rooms for a year or whatever. Then something went wrong. Very wrong.

Tommy

07-17-2002, 07:06 AM

07-17-2002, 08:37 AM
I was just refering to the extra tools I have to analyze my play. Since I'm still tweaking my game and plugging holes I like to be able to have the hand histories to check my play.

I thought playing a few hours a week might be a good way to keep tabs on your play/style.

BTW, I am interested in hearing your online story.

07-17-2002, 11:58 AM
Please write a post about your online experience.

MS Sunshine