PDA

View Full Version : Not following a read

Chaostracize
08-25-2004, 12:18 AM
Okay, here's the scenario. 14 man tourny, $50 buy-in, down to final 6, I'm second in chips, villain is chip leader. UTG and villain in MP limp and I raise 6 times the BB on the button with AJo. UTG and villain call. Flop comes A98 rainbow. Check-check-bet 3 times BB again. Fold then villain goes all in.

Villain's been playing Ax all night. Sucked out on AA with runner runner earlier and by the way the preflop action went I knew he had an ace. I said out loud "A9 or A8, but I gotta call." And like the novice that I am I didn't even wait for a reaction or follow my gut, I just called and, bam, A9 is tabled ad I'm beat.

The question is this for the people out there who can make the read and follow through by folding a good, but oviously beaten hand: How long did it take you to reach the point where you can follow your read?

I'm still at the point where I'm about right 80% of the time with my reads, and I follow them about 10%. In this case obviously all I could beat was AT, AX, or a bluff. So my example is bad cause putting all my chips at stake when I'm the more experienced player at the table is nothing but moronic.

Thanks for any input.

CheckRaise
08-26-2004, 01:46 AM
I feel your pain, i have this same problem, just the other night I hit TPTK with my AQs the pot had been raised by a tight passive player from EP. He bet out on the flop, i raised and then he reraised i now thought to myself that he must have KK or AA because he would not do this with top pair and he would not raise smaller PP before the flop so I knew he didnt have a set. I reluctantly called and asked if he had kings, sure enough he flipped them over and i got no help on the turn or river. The very next hand i hit TPTK again on the flop, same situation, i raise am then reraised figured the guy had two pair because he had not raised preflop, sure enough he turns over J10o and beats my AJs. I still have the problem of being married to a good hand and not being able to fold even when I can feel that im beat.

tpir90036
08-26-2004, 01:17 PM
you don't say how many chips everyone has left or what the blinds are. this is important info. was his all-in a huge overbet of the pot?

anyway, if you know this player would make the same move in this spot with A2 regardless of action/stack sizes than you probably have to call since you are going to be ahead more often then you are behind. otherwise you have to read the situation (which you did) and then go with it.

fnurt
08-26-2004, 01:25 PM
There is a fine line in some cases between having a read and "feeling that you're beat."