PDA

View Full Version : Journalistic Integrity at Harper's Magazine?

sam h
08-24-2004, 10:17 PM
I knew this rag had become a shrill lefty screed. But still I was surprised by what I found today.

The cover article of the September issue is a predictable piece by editor Lewis Lapham on the rise of conservatism. In the middle of the fourth paragraph we find this passage:

[ QUOTE ]
(Barry Goldwater) has come to be seen as a prophet in the western wilderness, apostle of the rich man's dream of heaven that placed Ronald Reagan in the White House in 1980 and provides the current Bush Administration with the platform on which the candidate was trundled into New York City this August with Arnold Schwarzenegger, the heavy law enforcement, and the paper elephants. The speeches in Madison Square Garden affirmed the great truths now rountinely preached from the pulpits of Fox News and The Wall Street Journal - government the problem, not the solution; the social contract a dead letter; the free market the answer to every maiden's prayer - and while listening to the hollow rattle of the rhetorical brass and tin, I remembered...

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently Mr. Lapham has already witnessed the GOP convention. And all this time I thought it wasn't starting until tomorrow!

It doesn't surprise me that Lapham doesn't need to actually hear the GOP speeches in order to pass judgement. I do find it pretty amazing, however, that they would screw up this badly.

benfranklin
08-25-2004, 12:02 PM
My mind is made up. Don't confuse me with facts.

Boris
08-25-2004, 12:07 PM
Lapham has been around for a long time so I'm sure he knows whats comimg. Harpers actually has more journalistic integrity than organizations like CNN or Fox. Harpers at least makes no bones about its liberal slant. Just like the Wall Street Journal editorial page is unabashedly conservative. Sure they are biased but at least you know where they are coming from.