PDA

View Full Version : hand to talk about

07-28-2002, 04:18 AM
Here is an interesting hand I played last night in the 20-40 game:

I have QJs 2nd from the BB. The game was VERY loose/passive, so I limped in. A middle position player raised. He played extremely bad, playing most hands to the river. He had not raised pre-flop yet in 4 hours, and I had seen him limp with aces and kings. The button called as did the BB.

Flop: Q93 with a two flush, none of my suit.

BB checked, I bet, pre-flop raiser called, button folded, BB raised, I re-raised, all called.

Now, the pre-flop raiser played very weak, and tended to call when he should raise (he tended to call alot). However, I felt that if he had an overpair, he would raise as he had done this earlier, but he would not raise with any hand I could beat. That was my reason for leading. I felt that if he raised, I could probably get away from my hand on the turn and certainly would not have to pay off the river. The check raiser in the BB played somewhat tricky, but he would not check raise the field with a flush draw. He had to have at least a pair. I reraised because of the slim chance the preflop raiser would fold something like AT, and because I knew that if the BB raised again, he definately had me beat and I could muck on the turn. I question this reraise. I did not like my hand particularly well and I set myself up for a possible turn checkraise, costing myself the very big bet I was trying to avoid.

A non flush King came on the turn to make the board Q93K.

Everybody checked.

I felt the King may have hit the Pre Flop raiser and if he had bet, I would have folded. He did not bluff. Anyone think I should have bet? In hindsight, I feel it is very close.

The river brought a 2 to change nothing. The BB bet and I called. The Preflop raiser folded, meaning he had no pairs (he always called the river with a pair).

I think this was a must call considering I was getting 8.5 to 1. But I knew there wasn't much I could beat. Anyone muck here?

He showed QT and I dragged the pot.

07-28-2002, 04:24 AM
I play the hand the same way, but on the turn, I don't fold if the preflop raiser bets. You'd be getting 8.5:1 or 9.5:1 on a gutshot, plus your other 5 outs to make two pair or trips. Of course, if the blind checkraised the turn, I'd lay it down.

The river is a clear call, as many BBs in 'loose passive' games will call a preflop raise with many, many hands from the SB, and will always checkraise when they flop top pair. He didn't four bet the flop, and didn't bet the turn, so I like your kicker enough to CERTAINLY warrant a call. He could easily have Q5s or some other rag kicker.

Well played,

Josh

07-28-2002, 05:13 AM