PDA

View Full Version : Raising pocket pairs in late position

Johnny_Cash_Advance
08-24-2004, 08:32 PM
With a lot of callers I often raise mid-low pocket pairs from late position, because most people will call this raise having already contributed to the pot, and if I make my set I stand to win a lot money, particularly because people will be reluctant to lay down a lesser hand with such a large pot. Comments on this play?

Rubeskies
08-24-2004, 08:36 PM
I believe this play is correct because once a certain number of players have limped (5-6) you now are correct to raise because of your pot equity should you hit a set. This is also why it is correct to cold call a raise in late position with a pocket pair when there are already many players in the pot.

lu_hawk
08-24-2004, 09:33 PM
Yeah this is ok. IF there are say 6 limpers than the raise isn't immediately +EV because you are 8.5-1 to hit, but it increases your implied odds because more people will chase with the bigger pot and will be drawing very slim against you. You'll also be able to see the turn for free a lot of the time so your odds of hitting a set go up a little.

Chris Daddy Cool
08-24-2004, 10:05 PM
I do this a lot on the button.

Kluddeludde
08-24-2004, 10:48 PM
Excellent. An added benefit is that you sometimes get a free card if the flop is not to your liking.

Kludde

fubar714
08-24-2004, 11:43 PM
What do you do with the smaller pairs when you get re-raised by the blinds?

Johnny_Cash_Advance
08-25-2004, 01:02 AM
Well, clearly in this case I'm hoping not to be reraised by the blinds. If they reraise and everyone else folds I'd consider folding. If there are callers I'd bite the bullet and call. Anyone disagree with this play?

pokerkai
08-25-2004, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, clearly in this case I'm hoping not to be reraised by the blinds. If they reraise and everyone else folds I'd consider folding. If there are callers I'd bite the bullet and call. Anyone disagree with this play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wholeheartedly emphatically disagree.
If you put in your equity raise in LP after there has been many limpers, and a 3 bet comes out of the blinds and leaves you heads up...YOU MOST DEFINITELY are not folding.