PDA

View Full Version : Gaming PCs

Roy Hobbs
08-24-2004, 04:51 PM
I'm interested in investing in a high-end gaming pc. I've been looking at companies like Alienware, Voodoo, and Falcon NW, but I can't tell if the added expense of purchasing from a gamer-oriented company is worth it. Has anyone had any dealings with such a company, or does anyone have any good experiences to report with such a purchase?

Thanks,

RH

JTG51
08-24-2004, 06:05 PM
I don't have any experience with those companies, but chances are you'd be paying more than you have to. Anything that you buy with lots of RAM and a top of the line video card is likely to be as good as the $2500 machines designed specifically for gaming.

nef
08-24-2004, 06:30 PM
I bought an alienware about 2 years ago. Nice machine, and they have some really kick ass machines coming out, with dual video cards. However, in the meantime I have figured out how easy it is to build a pc, and learned how I could have saved about $600 or so by building. I have upgraded out most of the parts, so I really only use the shell. Most of the components are now in my gf's PC, and even though I tortured that P4 processor (running it hot at higher voltages), it still runs just fine.

For my alienware
PROS:
Good Cooling
Decent Tech Support
Good Documentation/Software Included
Customization Options (compared to other vendors)
Quality Hardware (but not always top of the line)
Stable- No problems
Well put together, wiring tidy, etc.

CONS:
Basic Intel motherboard with limited options, specifically lack of options for overclocking, RAM timings, etc.
Paying for warranty (Most quality Hardware vendors have a good+free RMA service)
Paying extra for crap I don't care about like overall appearance, blinky/glowing lights, etc. (This may matter to you)
Paying extra in general

If you do a search for "alienware" on the internet forum you should come up with several threads on them. Also below is a thread where high end PC's were discussed.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=inet&Number=763790&page=12 3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=all

Roy Hobbs
08-24-2004, 11:38 PM
Thanks a lot...this is very helpful. I'm not sure that I am comfortable enough, or interested enough, in building my own pc, but it does seem like some of these pcs are overpriced. As for overclocking, I've read a little about this, but don't know much...is it necessary?

ThePopinjay
08-24-2004, 11:45 PM
build a PC yourself if you really want high qual. high end. if you buy one from a company it's a huge rip-off. http://forums.anandtech.com has everything you will need. it's a big project, but it's incredibly satisfying when you're done.

Rick Nebiolo
08-24-2004, 11:55 PM
Roy,

I'm not a gamer but a few months ago I replaced my aging P3 machine with a reasonably high end machine from ABS Computers (http://www.abscomputers.com/).

At ABS you can pick and chose among various parts within different model lines (and they have gaming lines). For my just below "gamer machine" I priced all the parts on newegg.com, and it would have cost me more to build the same machine myself (I'm sure if I went to the lowest priced vendor for every part, the price might be lower, but now you end up with a finger pointing problem when things don't work).

The ABS machine is gorgeous, with all quality parts (including things like a top end power supply, great case, the highest rated CD burner and so on). All the documentation and spare parts come in a big binder. This company gets high ratings on CNET and PC World and so on. I'd recommend them too.

Regards,

Rick

Roy Hobbs
08-24-2004, 11:57 PM
Thanks, Rick...I'll check them out.

nef
08-25-2004, 05:37 PM
I just built a very similar PC on both Alienware and ABS, good gaming PC, but not top of the line for everything.

AMD 64 3800+, 1024, 6800 Ultra, etc.
Alienware: $2693
ABS: $2299

Wahoo91
08-25-2004, 11:16 PM
As for overclocking, I've read a little about this, but don't know much...is it necessary?

Overclocking was necessary back in the day of 450PII. Today's chips and graphics cards are so fast there is no reason to overclock.

Many enthusiasts still do, more machismo than anything else.

I highly recommend building your own system as well. I just built mine from scratch for under $1500 for a system that will play any game with awesome framerates. I built it specifically for Doom II, but am disappointed by the reviews so I picked up Unreal Tournament 2004 instead. Very happy with my build.

astroglide
08-26-2004, 10:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Today's chips and graphics cards are so fast there is no reason to overclock

[/ QUOTE ]

spoken like somebody who doesn't play games nearly as much as they used to

Wahoo91
08-26-2004, 11:06 PM
Very true astro...