PDA

View Full Version : JJ Take the free card?

daveymck
08-24-2004, 02:03 PM
Seems to be a theme people misplaying JJ heres my addition. NOt sure if I should take the free card on the turn.

Villan of the piece is complete unknown who has just sat down at the table.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (5.66 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

River: (7.66 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 7.66 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 7.66 BB, between Hero and UTG+2.</font>

arkady
08-24-2004, 02:10 PM
You got a free showdown and gave yourself a better chance to win the hand. I like it, I just would hate getting raised there - but that would be my line if I wanted to go to SD. Of course the chances of winning are slim, but thats what happens when you run into 2 overcards /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sthief09
08-24-2004, 02:13 PM
I think this is a good time to check it through. you're probably not ahead, there aren't any free cards that can help your opponent the times you're ahead, and there's a reasonable chance you're going to get check raised.

but to be honest, I wouldn't have raised the flop. more often than not, on that board, you'll get raised again, and you'll be in a tough spot. I'd rather call it down. most of the time it won't work out as well as it did here.

Johnny_Cash_Advance
08-24-2004, 02:20 PM
I'm not sure if I would raise the flop here. Although I doubt he has AA or KK, there's still a good chance your beat. My reasoning for not raising is that you're not necessarily getting much good information from this. If he does reraise, you're most certainly beat, but even if he doesn't you still may be beat by a lot of hands. I'm interested to see what others have to say about my logic on this one.

-$A

Festis
08-24-2004, 06:22 PM
If you just call the flop and he bets into you again on the turn and the river do you really have the odds to call this down?
The pot would be ca 4 BB you have a gutshoot and possible 2 jacks(would be very likly to be agains a straight if the come) + the chans that you are ahead.. would count that as maybe 5-6 outs, with bad implied odds.
I would have called the flop but folded the turn uninproved.. is this too weak tight?

JTG51
08-24-2004, 06:29 PM
Giving yourself the option of a free showdown is nice, but a lot less valuable since you're almost always behind. On the other hand, getting check raised on the turn is horrible.

If you check behind and can fold unimproved to a river bet from this player, checking the turn is clearly best.