PDA

View Full Version : Bush disappointed me on this one

vulturesrow
08-24-2004, 01:15 PM
Bush was quoted yesterday as saying "I dont think we should have any 527s". Yeah lets not let citizens form groups to advertise their political opinions. So much for free speech. Sorry Mr. President, Im against you on this one and I am still saddened that you signed that abomination known as the McCain-Feingold act.

jdl22
08-24-2004, 02:41 PM
I don't like Bush. There is basically nothing he could do to get my vote. Having said that I think it's somewhat clever. Since pretty much all of the 527's are on the left except the only one that gets news coverage, by asking Kerry to do this he's putting him in a fairly tough position. I don't think Kerry is a fool so he probably won't bite.

The Bush team's plan of letting other people closely connected play up the negative politics while they appear to be above it has worked so far for them. They got the guy in the family that is least qualified for any sort of public office and made him president. This is just another example of that. This time it has the benefit of possibly making Kerry look bad if he doesn't condemn the people doing the dirty work for him.

CORed
08-24-2004, 02:49 PM
Bush showed no regard for the Bill of Rights. What a shock!

Wake up CALL
08-24-2004, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bush showed no regard for the Bill of Rights. What a shock!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lest we not forget that Kerry only wanted the Swift Boat ads to be prohibited while still allowing all the move on dot org ads bashing President Bush to continue. Seems more fair to stop all the ads rather than being selective like the Ketchup King and her spouse wishes.

wuwei
08-24-2004, 05:17 PM
[quote Lest we not forget that Kerry only wanted the Swift Boat ads to be prohibited while still allowing all the move on dot org ads bashing President Bush to continue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the moveon ads are put out with funds from the moveon PAC, which is not a 527. PACs are required to release information on their funding - who they are, how much, etc. There's no comparison at all between the moveon ads and the swift boat ads. This is not a "shadowy organization" like Bush would say. Of course, I'm sure Bush had no idea this was the case when he started talking about it. Just another example of him digging himself a hole everytime he opens his mouth in public without a teleprompter in front of him.

Jimbo
08-24-2004, 10:47 PM
Actually, all PACs are 527's. Some are registered with the Federal Election Commission (FEC) and only accept hard money. Others aren't [FEC-registered] and accept soft money. Some do both.

You really should do your homework.

Jimbo

ddollevoet
08-25-2004, 09:37 AM
Actually Kerry and Edwards asked Bush to denounce the ads over the weekend. In fact, Edwards said:

"This is a moment of truth for George W. Bush," Edwards said at a Democratic rally. "We're going to see what kind of man he is and what kind of leader he is. ... We want to hear three words: Stop these ads."

Now you are whining because he followed through? Give me a break.