PDA

View Full Version : medium pairs vs a raise

dfscott
08-24-2004, 12:23 PM
I've been trying to get used to the increased aggression at 2/4 after moving up from 1/2. As a result, I'm not so sure how to handle getting my middle pairs raised. I tend to either fold or just go into call-down mode. Here are two examples:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif. CO posts a blind of $2.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero folds, CO (poster) folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

No real read on UTG+1, but he wasn't playing many hands so I assumed he was fairly tight.

TT
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG folds, Button calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (12.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 12.50 BB, between Button, Hero and BB.</font>

No particular reads on anyone.

stoxtrader
08-24-2004, 12:48 PM
hand one is ok, possibly slightly weak tight - with a "solid" read on the raiser it's a fine fold, you are likely a coin-flip or way behind. with the poster behind you, a 3 bet probably gets it heads-up with some extra dead money in the pot and position and I'd be inclined to to that with position on most players. but again your solid read. I have no complaints here I guess.

TT hand is a tough one - you don't want AK or AJ or a flush draw to get a free card, but you also could be way behing to an overpair or AQ. aggressive play could fold a hand like JJ, what like 10% of the time? I would check call it down and hope AK missed and bluffs and JT or flush draw misses. 3 handed this is tougher though and would contemplate a fold on the turn, but getting 11.5:1 you gotta make that call and see a showdown barring two bets to you or *maybe* if an A or K falls.