PDA

View Full Version : Is this guy nuts?

Johnny_Cash_Advance
08-24-2004, 12:18 PM
This is something that I witnessed at a 3/6 table last week:

I've been at the table for a while with a few tourists and few pretty tight old-timers, when this young kid sits down at the table with a large stack of all white chips. He's wearing a "Borgata Poker" hat and immediately busts out just about every chip trick in the book. I make eye contact with a friend of mine and we have a chuckle; this kid thinks he's Johnny F*ing Chan. I don't remember the early action in his first hand, but when the turn comes it's heads-up between this kid and one of the older guys I've been playing with for a while. The board looks something like 79Tx rainbow. Kid bets, OG raises, kid reraies, OG double checks the board and reraises (clearly with the straight at this point), then the kid fires right back at him and 5-bets it. OG calls (looking confused). Fifth street comes and it's a 7. Kid bets, OG mumbles some obscenities and calls. Kid flips over pocket 9's and beats the OGs straight with a full house, then says "I knew he had the straight."

Now, to me this play seems completely insane. The kid has trips, and assuming that he did actually put the guy on the straight he's ~3.5:1 underdog here. Does anyone have any thoughts as to why someone in their right mind would make this play? Frankly I figure the kid was just so full of himself that he actually missed the straight possibility.

P.S. I took some of the old-timers mony back from the kid in the next hand when I flopped a set of my own. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

NUReedy
08-24-2004, 12:23 PM
The first raise is reasonable. This way he can get a feel for where he is at. 2nd reraise is sketch. 3rd reraise is either insanity or clairvoyant knowing the board would pair.

bisonbison
08-24-2004, 12:28 PM
Did this kid have a wispy goattee and respond to the name "Chris"?

Johnny_Cash_Advance
08-24-2004, 12:50 PM
I don't think so. He was a clean-shaven asian kid from what I recall.