PDA

View Full Version : Question: Is this a good flop?

07-25-2002, 06:41 PM
The game: 15 Holdem.

You are in mid position, first in you raise with Ad,Tc. The button cold calls and the BB calls. The flop is Qd,Qc,6d.

Is this a good flop for you? Why?

Vince

07-25-2002, 06:52 PM
It's not a terrible flop. With 3 players, you have a reasonable chance of winning with a bet here. I'd like it more if the flush draw weren't there, but take a hack and see what happens. You're getting 6.5:1 on a bet here, and you'll win probably 20+% of the time in most games that I'm in. Good situation, IMO, especially for a world class player like yourself; I'm Just Another Sucker...

07-25-2002, 06:56 PM
Yes it is a great flop. You now only lose $30 with a hand you should have folded preflop.

Jimbo

07-25-2002, 07:19 PM
Its a decent flop for you if the button is the type to cold call with suited connectors and big Kings and queens (KQ/KJ/QJ).

Its a horrible flop for you if the button only calls raises with medium to high pairs and big aces.

07-25-2002, 08:20 PM
If the button is not a total fish, his coldcall signifies a medium pair (or perhaps even a small pair) or a big suited connector or Axs (note: I ma not saying that it'scorrect to coldcall with any of those hands but the fact is that's what most players show down when they coldcall a raise). As such, I would contend that the flop is no better than a fair one for you. On the one hand, the dude may very well have a Queen. If he happens to have a pocket pair, he is going to like the paired flop himself (as opposed to a flop with two distinct high cards) and may stick around. A simple call by him plus superior position should make you nervous going into the turn.

All of the above indicates that the flop is not very good for you. On the other hand, you only have two opponents and you could well have the best hand if the button has Axs etc and the bb has whatever. In that sense, you too benefit from the fact that the flop is paired and does not have 3 distinct cards that may have hit any one of your two opponents.

I would classify the flop as being fair. In any event, I hope you bet it and took it down.

07-25-2002, 08:42 PM
Spot on with your analysis but your final grade is too generous. This flop is doggy-doo. It would be marginally improved if it were rainbow instead of two-tone but in general it's probably better to fold and start waiting for pocket rockets again.

07-25-2002, 09:23 PM
It may be but it depends on who the button and BB are.

I would say it's a good flop to bet, but be wary if you are called in both places.

07-25-2002, 10:56 PM
skp,

The fact that I have the Ad makes it a good flop for me. When I say a good flop I am considering the total playing aspects of the hand. Obviously if it puts me behind no flop is really good. However, to me a flop is "good" if the information that can be gleaned from it considering the opponents play (style) and thier possible holdings enhances my decision making. The Ad in my hand and the two diamonds on the flop pretty much assures me that the button is not on a big flush draw unless his hand is exactly Kd,Jd or Td in which case I'm ahead. When I bet, which of course I must do and did, if he calls I can pretty much put him on that medium pair you were talking about or a Queen. In this case he folded as did the blind and I won the pot. When I play poker I try and consider what my opponent might have. I use my hand and the flop among other things to aid me in my actions. If the flop gives me information that I can use to not only win money but to minimize my loss I consider it a pretty good flop.

Vince

07-25-2002, 11:57 PM

07-26-2002, 12:29 AM
Open raising in mid-position with ATo should be a standard play if the game is playing even a little tight. I definately think you need to do this in the Bellagio 15-30 game where Vince plays.

07-26-2002, 03:18 AM

07-26-2002, 12:21 PM
Excellent point re: the Ad....I had overlooked that completely (but it's something that I do take into account when playing)

07-26-2002, 12:31 PM