PDA

View Full Version : Small to mid pairs

07-25-2002, 05:04 PM
If you are on the button in a typical game, with pairs ranging from 2's to 9's, and UTG open raises with 4 cold callers following, with what pairs would you:

a)fold

B)call

c)raise

How about if there were 4 limpers and a raise from the cut-off?

07-25-2002, 05:34 PM
situation 1- call all, your flopped sets will make a lot of money as you will be able to trap players for multiple bets who are between you and utg.

situation 2- i fold or call, maybe i three bet with 99 half the time to throw in some deception. so rare is the folder to two more bets preflop in my game that i dojnt think i will get anyone out.

07-25-2002, 06:25 PM
Situation 1: Do not see any difference between a pair of deuces or nines. You must flop a set to continue with any of them in this multiway pot. Your immediate odds are 5 to 1, but have excellent implied odds. Would call with all of them.

Situation 2: Would fold all of them. Cut-off's raise, after 4 limpers, must be with a premium hand, if he is a good player. There may be reraises behind me and the hand may not remain multiway, in which case I'm not getting correct pot odds.

07-25-2002, 07:04 PM
There's an enormous difference between 2s and 9s multi-way. Think about drawing to and making straights and flushes, how often you'll fold the best hand, how often you'll lose to a bigger set.

07-25-2002, 07:06 PM
1) Call with all PP's and fold to any action unless I flop a set or open ender.

2) Reraise with all PP's as it is a good spot for cutff to try to steal the button and eliminate the blinds. I may play this hand a little stronger since I three bet pre flop but will still not get too attached to the hand if flop is horrific.

Jimbo

07-25-2002, 07:09 PM
There's an enormous difference between 2s and 9s multi-way.

I don't think so!!!!!!!!!!!! Marginal perhaps, enormous, no way.

Jimbo

07-25-2002, 07:10 PM