PDA

View Full Version : Bad Dealers at Bellagio

07-15-2002, 05:55 AM
I have played regularly at the Bellagio since it opened and although most of the dealers are average to above average dealers, there are some exceptions. As mentioned in previous posts, Sharon(red head) on swing shift is one in particular that will not shut up for her entire time in the box. And because of this, slows the game quite a bit.

But today's grip is not about her, it is about another swing shift dealer that is constantly in a some sort of conversation with someone at the table and not paying attention to the action. That dealer is Tim. Tim is a white male, about 5'10" and approximately 40 yrs old. Again tonight he was carrying on a conversation with someone when I raised from early position and 2 players proceeded to call only the big blind because he did not notice or announce my raise. This act of his is getting a little bit old and things like this happen almost every time he is in the box. How difficult is it to pay attention to the action? Is that not his job?

Has anyone else experienced the same problems with this so-called dealer? Is he not very bright to understand that the reason he makes so many mistakes is that he is not paying attention?

07-15-2002, 09:33 AM
I believe you are responsible for ensuring that your raise is recognized rather than blame it on the dealer for not announcing it. If my raise is not being announced by the dealer as I am laying out the chips, I announce it myself.

As poker players, we have been subjected to very accomplished dealers and the not-so-accomplished dealers. While I wouldn't offer an opinion on an individual dealer, I know that there are times when your action will go unnoticed and you must be prepared to be your own advocate in those situations by uttering the word raise in an audible voice.

07-15-2002, 10:34 AM
You miss the point of his post-mainly that dealers talking and not paying attention result in mistakes. Dealers talking/having conversations about sports or the news or their philosophy on life is unnacceptable in the box and one of the most common mistakes dealers make. They are there to deal and oversee the game, not be social butterflies. I do think it is wrong for this guy to identify a dealer here in this setting-he needs to let the floorman at the Bellagio know and they should take care of the problem. After talking with the floorman, if the problem is not resolved and dealers continue to make mistakes due to talking and not paying attention, then he needs to take it tot he next level. Bellagio is a world class cardroom and they will take care of problem dealers.

07-15-2002, 09:05 PM
No, I didn't miss the point of his post. The point of his post was to finger out a Bellagio dealer and perhaps cause this person grief at his workplace.

Dealers are in a lose-lose situation with many poker players. God forbid a dealer is smiling at no one in particular and some of these players are out of pocket a couple of racks. I think the other end of the spectrum is much more prevalent - players abusing dealers. I have actually complained to Bellagio management about a player abusing a dealer endlessly. These people work hard to make a living. Dealer bashing goes hand in hand with people that like to blame others for their losses. If more people would learn to lose gracefully there would be a lot less dealer bashing, imho.

If this gentleman has a valid complaint based on facts then he should approach Bellagio management and have his say. I think to come bash the dealer by name on such a broad forum as this is, at the least, unkind and even somewhat suspect.

I happen to know who this dealer is and I have found him to be professional and nonplussed despite the crap dealers have to handle day in and day out from dealing with the public...a public that is losing money they can't afford to lose much of the time and looking for any scapegoat to blame it on.

07-15-2002, 09:55 PM
Eric,

I read your post hoping you would name Sharon. I was there in January, up a rack and 1/2 and she came to the table. It was straight out of Vegas Vacation. She had commentary about everyone, and every hand. She would berate the fish, she would tell everyone how she would have played and pretty much made life miserable. I tried to wait through her shift, but she frustrated me so much when she ran off 3 donators that I took my chips, cashed them in and made sure that the manager knew that she was the reason I was leaving (of couse with a wait list 8 deep, they could care less.. but I felt better). I was back three days later, an early morning game where my AA just filled up on a 4 flush board and 4 callers to the river. Things were going well... when she showed up again. I listened to her for about 10 minutes and got up again. I am still kicking myself for walking away from two very live games because I couldn't stand her. It is nice to know she has ruined someone else's day as well.

Good luck to you.

Kevin

07-16-2002, 08:23 AM
" It is nice to know she has ruined someone else's day as well."

Sorta like that old adage:

"Misery loves Company"

07-16-2002, 11:01 AM
Do you really think pointing him out here would cause him more grief than letting management now (which is what I suggested he do and I also stated he was wrong to single the dealer out here). The overall point of his post though, if you can see the bigger picture, is the issue of talking dealers. It is the biggest mistake dealers make and happens fairly often. Does this give players the right to abuse dealers? Of course not, but to get on your high horse and act like this is a rare occurance is unrealistic.

07-16-2002, 11:11 AM

07-16-2002, 11:31 AM

07-16-2002, 11:58 AM

07-17-2002, 10:44 AM
I would not let this drop if it is as bad as you say and if is not corrected. However I am playing on the East Coast so it is up to you guys.

07-19-2002, 10:29 AM
Hi that 40 something dealer...

I am really sorry for your losses...

But lashing out like this and naming names for the soul purpose of trying to get people fired

just goes to show how cruel and vindictive a person you are. You don't like the way I handle myself in the box then take a walk you don't have to sit there and take it...

What did you possibly hope by posting this... harm my income by taking food out of my families mouth...

It must be a very warm feeling to have a bad night of gambling... >>go home and nowhere else with a warm shoulder to cry on other then this website....

sharping up a knife to stick in someones back....

and lash out at another person to lay blame...

>>

Tim

(that 40 Something Bellagio dealer)

07-22-2002, 04:32 AM
Tim,

First of all, I did not mention anything in my original post about winning or losing, this discussion has nothing to do with that. Why is that anytime anyone says anything derogatory about someone on this forum, they think that it is related to a bad beat or a lossing session? That is not what this is about.

You also mentioned that the sole purpose of my post was to try to get you fired and nothing could be further from the truth. I really don't care that much about your job situation, that is none of my business. This is not a personal issue, this is a professional issue. I do not believe that you act in a professional manner much of the time that you are in the box.

All I want is good service, not even great service, just do your job. Take care of the game first then do your chit chatting or joke telling. I pay for that service by sitting in the game, along with everyone else playing in there. We deserve to have good service, we come in there a couple times a week, or once a month, or once a year and pay your salary.

I would hope that you could be professional enough to take criticism and maybe improve from it. This is not just my voice alone speaking, there are others who believe you just don't pay enough attention to the game when you are dealing.

You wrote in your post about lashing out at people or laying blame, I am not doing that at all. I am just speaking the truth and trying to improve my poker experience at the Bellagio.

07-22-2002, 09:09 AM
This response went way overboard and is a bit overdramatic. A player points out that you don't pay attention and you assume the player is just another losing player who has nowhere to go and nobody to blame for his losses? And saying somebody has the sole desire to get you fired shifts the issue. Look, you are not getting fired because of a complaint on this forum. Maybe constant complaints to the floor would do it, but I doubt that too given how long some really bad dealers stick around. The worst was when you said, "You don't like the way I handle myself in the box then take a walk you don't have to sit there and take it..." That's just what the Bellagio needs, more games where 5 people are walking. And maybe when some will come back from walking they will quit. Occasional players hate this practice. Walkers ruin games at the Bellagio and dealers should not encourage the practice. Both dealers and players make money from good games. Mason has pointed this out in his writings numerous times. So when either dealers or players do things to make games worse, I don't like it. As a dealer you should never encourage walking.

Look, Tim, a customer said you were doing a bad job. If it's not true, then you know that and just have to move on. Your response seems like a confession to me given how you shift the focus of the discussion to Cartman's faults. But I think you should examine your dealing to see if you are really paying attention. Sometimes I'm sure you do. Other times I'm sure you don't. That's normal. But maybe you have picked up some bad habits. Use Cartmans post to examine what you are doing. Because when 1 person complains, there are usually others.

And if a player criticizes you, don't think they are out to get you or that the player is a card throwing loser who blames dealers for their losses. There are a lot of players like me out there. I can lose money and still enjoy a lifestyle better than the average dealer. But I do work hard for my money and I don't want to give it away. I do take the game seriously although I am not a professional player. But when dealers do things to hurt games, it cots me money. And I don't like it. I play at the Bellagio occasionally (just a tourist) but I have been hurt by dealers who don't pay attention. I am a decent tipper, but won't tip dealers who don't pay attention. Mistakes happen, not paying attention can be fixed. So if you are in the box and a tourist doesn't tip you one day, don't automatically chalk it up to Cartman's post or the player being a stiff. It might be because you are not paying attention in that game. That will take money out of your family's mouth. I think you should experiment for a week. Make every effort not to talk in the box. Be friendly sure. But really try to shut up and deal. Get some hands out. See if your tips magically get a little better for the week. If they don't, well, at least you did the best job you could. If they do, maybe you were doing a lot of stuff you didn't notice yourself.