PDA

View Full Version : Suited Sixes' Sordid Small Stakes Story: Day 2

SuitedSixes
08-24-2004, 07:29 AM
It makes me feel good that everybody is so worried about me! The biggest comment from Day 1 seems to be my intent to move up after 100 BB at each level. This is a concept that I latched onto before I became a 2+2er. In ITH, Hilger advocates that once you have beaten a limit for 100BB (and are sufficiently bankrolled) you are ready to try the next level. He also counts on 1 BB/HR, so he is thinking that you'll get about 5K hands at a level. I see know that that probably is not very sound advice, but in this particular case, especially with the lower limits, I feel like this is OK for me. I have over 10K hands at .50/1 so I know that I am capable of beating that game. If my sole intention was to learn through this journal, then I would stick around, but because I want to make money as well, I'm going to move up as soon as I've reached my 100BB, at least through 1/2.

Mondays are pretty good days. We don't practice until the evening, so I get to sleep in. For those of you who haven't figured it out, I work nights, so sleeping in, for me, is anything past 3:00. This time of year, I get home from work around 7:15, take my daughter to her babysitter at 8:00, wake up at 2:00, drive to practice (45 min.), get home from practice around 8:00 and leave for work at 8:45. Mondays are nice because I can pick up my daughter, and do something with her for a little while before I have to leave. Today we went to lunch: pizza, spaghetti, and ice cream. She likes Mondays too.

Some holes that I need to patch in my poker game:
<ul type="square"> I get way too aggressive sometimes.
I assume that everyone is trying to steal my blinds.
I assume that everyone in the blinds has nothing.
I don't lose enough showdowns (that seems wierd).
I don't trust my reads enough.
I am good at reading hands when I am not involved in the hand, but when I am, I am more blinded by what I need to come rather than what my opponent probably has. [/list]

I played very poorly today. I just felt restless, that I needed to force the action, and always be the aggressor. Betting when I should be calling. I wonder if this is a holdover from NL (which is probably why I wasn't very successful). I tried to find a way for my hands to win, rather than just folding when that was the best move (poker is not a good game for optimists). I did not do a very good job of sticking to the hand recommendations, which got me in trouble and always gets me in trouble. I did a good job of not calling raises when I wasn't supposed to, but I think I played too many late position hands in middle position and I paid for it. I think that I raised with too many hands when I was first in hoping to steal the blinds. For the most part, I keep a very level head even through the worst beats and bad down swings. I think that is a hold-over skill from coaching; when things go bad you can't dwell on what just happened, you gotta figure out how to fix it and recover. Today I just felt like my aggression got the better of me.

Today I was (trying) to focus on pot odds. Identifying pot odds is one of my strengths as a player, but I think that I have a tendency to call blindly just based on what I'm holding and I need to do a better job considering what my opponent is probably holding.

Two day total: 32.51 BB in 18 table hours.

SuitedSixes
08-24-2004, 07:39 AM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (18 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (11 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (15 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero folds, SB folds.

Final Pot: 17 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows Ks As (one pair, aces).
MP3 shows 9s Qd (two pair, queens and nines).
Outcome: MP3 wins 17 BB. </font>

This turned out to be a good laydown, but should I have done it sooner? This is one time that I had a feeling that I trusted. I felt I was against AA, AK or QQ. Did I waste a bet on the turn? By the turn, I was dead against AA and only had two outs against AK, so I needed better than 22-1 to call, right?

Atropos
08-24-2004, 07:47 AM
I think you didn't play this very good. At the flop you have to decide what to put him on, if you think he has some Ace you could try to reraise him, if he 3bets you you can fold or call down, this is rather player dependent I think. If you put BB on something like JJ,TT you could call down and then try a fancy raise on the river.
But you may not in any case call to the river and then fold to a totally unthreatening card, especially not in a 15BB pot. The river card even made your hand better, since it's possible that BB was on a flush-draw, which obviously didnt hit.

SuitedSixes
08-24-2004, 08:04 AM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 folds, SB folds.

Turn: (5 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows 3h Kh (two pair, kings and fours).
Hero shows Qc Qs (full house, queens full of fours).
Outcome: Hero wins 11 BB. </font>

Here I was wrong to call the flop and the turn and got lucky. IF I assume I am against a K, I am not getting sufficient odds to call, right?

Atropos
08-24-2004, 09:15 AM
Yep, since if you assume you are against a K you have at best 3 outs, the rest you know yourself I think.
The interesting question is, why would you assume he has a K?? I can understand you since when I started playing 0.50/1 I always thought "he has a reason to bet, he wont bet into a pfraiser without tptk//two pair//set, will he?"
But in reality, these party players will bet everything. They bet second pair, bottom pair, backdoor flush draw, ace high, underpair, sometimes they bet because they hate the preflop raiser and want to push him off his hand, I dont know.
So generally assume you have them beat, if the board is not too threatening. I never believed that this would work, but it actually did.

stoxtrader
08-24-2004, 09:52 AM
the KK hand you have the odds and implied odds to call the flop but not the turn, you are almost certainly behind. IF I call the turn I'm definitely callin the river if its for one bet, but I would fold the turn.

the QQ hand is better because you have a backdoor flush draw and you are against less players. I call the flop and then most likely get to showdown heads-up - for sure if the bettor is aggressive, but I'd fold to a passive or tight player. both flops were of course horrible for you.

Blarg
08-24-2004, 10:34 AM
That was Hilger's advice for rapidly moving up levels, as I recall, not the standard thing he recommends everyone should do. It's more like what to do if you're aggressive and want to move up quickly, realizing it's risky and that you're basically taking a shot. 100 BB won isn't to show you you know the level thoroughly. More like if you can't even do that much, don't go anywhere yet no matter how good you think you are.

James282
08-24-2004, 10:44 AM
You could save yourself a lot of headache by learning this rule:

If you call the turn with a hand thinking it might be best without the odds to improve, you should call the river too.

-James

MEbenhoe
08-24-2004, 11:06 AM
I think another play you could make is to raise on the flop. Because of the wide variety of hands the bettor could have, a raise here seems like a good play. For one it can give you a good idea of where you are in the hand. Also with the hand he ended up having(top pair low kicker) a raise on the flop may stop him from betting into you on later rounds when the bets are doubled.

meep_42
08-24-2004, 11:56 AM
I raise the flop on both of those hands. Find out where you are, if it comes back to you 3-bet, make the decision to see the turn or fold right there. If the turn doesn't improve you, lay it down there (read dependant).

-d