PDA

View Full Version : Caro's Pro Poker Tells -- Still Relevant?

Booyakasha
08-24-2004, 03:38 AM
Ok, so compared to most of the folks reading this I'm a blank amateur at the game. I've bene reading and studying the plays of most any poker videos I could get my hands on, though I actually started playing cash games to get my feet wet and found success.

Now, after playing dumb luck and doing fairly well, I started getting more scientific about my approach and trying to cull raw data beyond math and luck that I could use. I came across the Caro's Pro Poker Tells video. I watched it and got some very basic information that I found useful.

However, it struck me as perhaps a bit "dated". What with all the amateurs out there playing the field who will play just about anything, what is the consensus about the usefulness of this guide & do you have any recommendations for better guides to picking up tells at the table?

Thanks, glad I found this place!

TM1212
08-24-2004, 04:54 AM
Never seen his video, but his book is great filled with tons of useful tells and advice. There really isn't anything out there besides caros books and videos in the way of tells, but first hand experience is probably the best way to learn!

ohgeetee
08-24-2004, 09:34 AM
The book is definitely relevant, but I would not base any decision in poker completely on a tell. A good example of why his book is definitely still valid is watching just about any given episode of Celebrity Poker, and is actually one of the reasons i like watching the show. Phil will often point out tells straight out of caro's book and he is dead on.

The worse the player you are up against, the better tells are, until you pass the threshold of a player that doesn't know the basic hand values. I have no idea why, but there are people out there still that think straights and flushes take 4 cards, so if you are up against someone this dense, they will be showing extreme strength with mediocre holdings much of the time, but I think people playing this badly should be easy to spot.