PDA

View Full Version : Short Hand vs. Full Table HELP

AcesZ
08-24-2004, 02:48 AM
Hey, I'm pretty good in a full table but when the game come short-handed, 3-4 people, I generally don't play well. I know the good starting hand for a full table and the positions, but how do they change in shorthanded situation?

does any Ace and King good regardless of kicker? should I play less suited connectors? Comparing to the starting hand selection with a full table game, how should I adjust?

and in terms of betting, what would I need to adapt change..thank you /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SirArthur
08-24-2004, 03:26 AM
Use position to your advantage. Raise most any decent hand on the button. If the flop misses you, and it's checked to you take a stab at the pot every time. More often than not you'll take it down right there.
If someone plays back at you, let it go.

If you complete from the SB, and get raised, let it go unless you have a nice starting hand. Position is much more crucial in these SH games.

You must be way more aggressive, bet draws stronger, and bluff more pots.
Take control of the table, and make everyone adjust to your style.

You can run over tables getting no cards in short handed NL.
Most importantly you must use these tactics in accordance with the other players styles at your table. You must get reads on players. Are they aggressive? Passive? Bluffers? etc. Adjust your strategy according to their style.
For example, if someone is a calling station, or maniac, bluff far, far less and wait for cards to beat them.

And yes, Kx, Ax, go way up in value in 3/4 handed NL.
Raise these hands P/F especially with position.

Definitely try and see a cheap flop with suited connectors.

I've found SH & HU NL to be quite profitable of late.
I used to stay in my comfort zone of Full NL games, but have experimented with these quite a bit of late, and am finding them very profitable like I said.

It's a totally different game than full ring NL. Maybe drop down a level or two and try for lower stakes first to get the feel of things.

Hope these tips help.