PDA

View Full Version : What should I have done differently?

MarcoPolo
08-24-2004, 01:44 AM
This was probably the best hand I had up until now and with the blinds at 200 I had to make a move I decided I would do it here. I had middle pair with an outside straight draw. I move all in and get one caller. There are probably several bad plays here, I'm just interested in hearing them all.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (8 handed)

CO (t9085)
Button (t20510)
SB (t6955)
Hero (t4515)
UTG (t6813)
UTG+1 (t25380)
MP1 (t5390)
MP2 (t685)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls t200, UTG+1 calls t200, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls t200, Button calls t200, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t600</font>, Hero calls t400, UTG calls t400, UTG+1 calls t400, CO folds, Button folds.

Flop: (t2800) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets t800</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t3915</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, SB calls t3115.

Turn: (t10630) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

River: (t10630) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t10630
<font color="green">Main Pot: t10630 (t10630), between SB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by SB (t10630).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows As Kc (one pair, aces).
Hero shows 9d Td (one pair, nines).
Outcome: SB wins t10630. </font>

adanthar
08-24-2004, 02:14 AM
Folding preflop would be good. You are out of position with a drawing hand and will be bet into on any flop with people to act behind.

You're stuck on this flop, though, and an idiot happened to call you and draw out. Oh well, next tournament.

MarcoPolo
08-24-2004, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Folding preflop would be good. You are out of position with a drawing hand and will be bet into on any flop with people to act behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, fold was the correct play but considering I was low chip leader (other than the guy who disconnected and was just folding every hand) and had suited connectors I decided to make my move here.

[ QUOTE ]
You're stuck on this flop, though, and an idiot happened to call you and draw out. Oh well, next tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info. I agree that he made a bad call.

Does anyone else get upset when things like this happen? I was pretty PO'd. But like you said, the idiot called it and rivered me. It happens, just have to learn to move on.

Karma kicked in when he lost to a river a few hands later.

joyride
08-24-2004, 12:01 PM
Nope, I get more pissed when my AKo is called by, say, 26o and he hits a river 2. The minor suck out doesn't bug me as much as the obligatory "nh" from the peanut gallery.

/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Zoe's Echo
08-24-2004, 12:53 PM
Marco,

Don't think that smooth calling pre-flop out of position is really defined by "making my move here" unless you were planning to move in on any flop and hope. If you had made your move pre-flop and pushed - he would have called and same result.

I think that though you were low on chips you still had enough chips to steal the blinds with or without a hand after the button.

The A is a familiar pain - better luck.

gergery
08-24-2004, 01:39 PM
Easy fold preflop. Blind is only 200 you have 4500, you would not be near “gotta make a move” with only 1600 chips. You also have a drawing hand out of position and may get raised again. Against a loose passive table where you are pretty sure of not getting raised preflop AND of getting paid off after flop if you hit (like this table seemed to actually be), then calling preflop is probably correct but still folding is good too.

Great flop. Note that anyone with a Q or J is a slight favorite to win vs. your hand. SB bet weakly you’ve got great outs so push is correct if you think they’ll fold even 20% of time. His call is terrible even getting 2:1 and he gets lucky, oh well.

--Greg

ChrisCo
08-24-2004, 01:57 PM
You have plenty of chips to sit back and wait for a hand. You have 23x bb, that is usually enough to have a playable stack in tournaments. The time to get worried is when you have 10x bb. At that moment you will be all in or fold mode. I think that your call preflop was bad, but the flop hit you just hard enough that you had to continue on with it. The way I play tourneys is that I play very strong hands that I know will be good if I hit. If you call preflop with marginal hands your setting yourself up to where you will hit the flop just enough to become attatched to the hand. That is why hands like KJo are horrible hands except for steal attepmts in tourneys.

fnurt
08-24-2004, 02:43 PM
But it's not a hand like KJo. It's a suited connector getting 6-way action. I can't believe so many people want to fold this preflop (although, that always seems to be the easy answer on this board, any time the flop presents a difficult decision).

The flop move is very, very dangerous considering how many ways there are to hit this particular flop. You will get the other players to lay it down a good percentage of the time, and when you get called you usually have a lot of outs. The problem is that the preflop raiser almost always has you beat on this flop... unless he has AK. To get called by AK here is quite shocking.

MarcoPolo
08-24-2004, 03:10 PM
Just wanted to say I appreciate all the replies. (And thanks for not raping me too bad for not folding!)

I guess since I was seeing only about 6% of the flops up to this point in this tourney I was getting anxious to play a hand and convinced myself I was low enough on chips to make this that hand.

In hindsight, I should have just folded again and waited for a better hand. Live and learn I guess.

Thanks again!

pokerstudAA
08-24-2004, 05:43 PM
You keep talking like this was your last chance at getting a playable hand. The blinds were only 200 and you had 4500 chips at the begining of the hand. The button comes around on the next hand and you will have a chance to see 5-6 more hands without putting any chips in. You were pretty far behind the large stacks but need to wait until you get a good shot at doubling up.

I dont hate the call with the 910s but if you are going to call you need to bet that flop. That was almost exactly the flop you were looking for and you should bet and try to take it down. Waiting for the check raise could get some callers that you do not want - people may already be pot committed because of their large raise. Anyone with the queen will likely reraise you - and you can get away at tha point or go for the draw.

MLG
08-24-2004, 06:12 PM
there is nothing wrong with a call here if you do not fear a call reraise at this particular table. The flop is aggresive, I like it. You may get him to lay down a hand like AJ. Also, you shut out any flush draws behind you. Cards happen.

RPatterson
08-24-2004, 06:15 PM
That always pisses me off when some moron makes a horrible call and sucks out and people not involved in the hand feel the need to say "nh".