PDA

View Full Version : AA is a type of lava: anyone go for the trifecta here?

bisonbison
08-24-2004, 01:30 AM
This 3/6 table is breaking up in that strange Party 3/6 way where 3 people sit out forever, then leave, then an orbit goes by and people don't fill the seats and we're all filled with the sensation of impending doom.

The CO in this hand is decent and aggressive, and has been adjusting his standards to the situation. Because of this and all the folding, most hands have been raised preflop and either 3-way or HU.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Hero calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (5.33 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.66 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

River: (9.66 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 11.66 BB

sfer
08-24-2004, 01:35 AM
You said the CO is decent. It's hard to imagine he'd fall for number 3 unless he's seen you get out of line during the session. So, I'd guess that for you betting is best. During my typical sessions, I bet I could pull off this trifecta.

BTW, was this a limp-reraise changeup when only CO was joining your party? If so, I like it.

I have officially arrived.

W. Deranged
08-24-2004, 01:35 AM
This strikes me as a situation where going for the check-raise on the river is only justified by the potential non-monetary profit it would make... Namely, how hot it would be to get in that third check-raise. (...implied hotness odds...)

I think a check-raise is very unlikely to work here, and the money-making play is just to bet out the river. With that said, I think you need to evaluate how cool getting in that third check-raise would be if it worked, and adjust your play accordingly. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

bisonbison
08-24-2004, 01:38 AM
BTW, was this a limp-reraise changeup when only CO was joining your party? If so, I like it.

Yeah. If even one more caller comes along, I'm popping it. Instead, I took this morning's posts to heart and followed the "middle pocket pair trying to push overcards off a flop" play.

icetonez
08-24-2004, 01:41 AM
I like the HU disguise.

xerostar
08-24-2004, 02:11 AM
I think this had was ripe for the picking.

Question: Why didn't you raise the pf?
Even bigger question, why didn't you cap the flop?
The safest way to play AA is always in my opinion, to bet it out and go strong. Although AA is very strong preflop, many communities can easily bring it down.

sfer
08-24-2004, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bison was trying to limp-reraise. When it was only him and the CO, a decent player, he decided just to call to underrepresent his hand and try to pick up more bets on the expensive streets. Same logic applies to not capping the flop.

Bison has Aces heads-up on a T54 flop. His hand is a monster and behind only TT/55/44. The likely range of hands that the CO has are either drawing to 2 outs or running cards. This is the perfect spot to gambool a bit and try to maximize BBs going into the pot.

bisonbison
08-24-2004, 02:21 AM

I limped the first time because the potential for multiway action or limp-reraising was enticing. If I showed too much strength preflop, particularly from EP, I might not get any action. I didn't limp-reraise because heads-up against a decent player, I didn't want to spook him, especially since he will likely remain aggressive HU even if he just flops overcards.

Even bigger question, why didn't you cap the flop?

Because I'm ahead of almost every hand he might hold here, don't fear the turn card and will hopefully extract more bets this way. I don't want him to fold or slow down with a worse hand and it is very likely he has a worse hand.

The safest way to play AA is always in my opinion, to bet it out and go strong.

Multiway, I'm a no-slowplaying machine. Heads-up with a read at a table where people are thinking shorthanded, I think this is the good stuff.

Although AA is very strong preflop, many communities can easily bring it down.

Wha?

MarkL444
08-24-2004, 03:00 AM
How often do you guys try the limp-reraise in the party 3/6. Was this sort of a table specific move? I understand not reraising once its HU, but Im not crazy about the idea to begin with.

xerostar
08-24-2004, 03:00 AM
Although AA is very strong preflop, many communities can easily bring it down.

Wha?

I guess I should've been more specific. Multiway pots, which obviously don't apply here. Disregard that last line.

bisonbison
08-24-2004, 03:04 AM
I think this is the second time I've done it in 20k hands. premium hand at a short-handed or tight table with known aggressive player in LP.

MAxx
08-24-2004, 09:32 AM
excellent play in IMO... think you played it optimally given the situation and your reads. I think that players that hate on the limp-reraise are unimaginitive. You must recognize that it is a good play when the situation calls for it. Obviously it is wrong to overuse it and get overly fancy, but I am weary of people drinking all that limp-reraise haterade. As far as going for the trifecta, I think you were smart to hold off on that. You would have most likely missed a bet. I would reserve the trifecta for the overagressive caveman types... not the fairly solid players.

turnipmonster
08-24-2004, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How often do you guys try the limp-reraise in the party 3/6.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't checked my stats, but it seems like there are a ton of raised pots in that game. I limp reraise somewhat frequently, and do it with many different hand types.

--turnipmonster