PDA

View Full Version : Unlucky BB....bad call?

PocketQs
08-24-2004, 12:20 AM
Hey everyone, this is my first post.

I was playing a 10 + 1 tourney and it was early on and i am sitting at 1700t. I am BB and receive 97o. UTG, UTG+1, and button all call (all at about 1000). I check to see the flop. Flop lands [9s, 9h, 3d], so I get a little excited but am worried about my seven kicker. UTG puts in 100, UTG+1 and button call, so I raise to 400. Everyone calls. The turn is 7d. So now I put all in, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, and button calls. River is As. UTG has pocket As and wins the hand with a full house. Did I make the right choice. I would never go in on a 97o but with the blind allowing me the flop for free, it seemed like a sure bet. How would you all have played it? As a side note, the button has J2o. Weird huh?

Ryan

Roman
08-24-2004, 12:29 AM
Firstly, a little advice, do not post bad beats in the future as they rarely attract constructive critisicm.

You didn't call anything here, you pushed. You got your money in when the villian was drawing to 2 outs, good job.

PocketQs
08-24-2004, 12:34 AM
I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to whine. I just wanted to see if I did the right thing. Not trying to be a cry baby.

SmileyEH
08-24-2004, 12:39 AM
Horrible play. You should have folded that trash in the BB preflop - no sense even playing it.

-SmileyEH

ethan
08-24-2004, 01:23 AM
Your play's fine, you got your money in with the best of it. You told them you had a 9 on the flop and 2 of them stuck around, but chances anyone has A9 are pretty slim. On the turn, no one has more than 2 or 3 outs to beat you, so you could consider a slowplay (but you'd want to get all-in no matter what came on the river). I think the route you took is a good one.

hey, cards happen.

willie
08-24-2004, 03:13 AM
yeah....bad beats don't go over well with this crowd, played it fine, got screwed, next tourney!

lolita16
08-24-2004, 05:11 AM
PocketQ's,

You played the hand perfectly. This is the type of hand that some of the very best love to play if cheap to see a flop as you can (and should have) busted a hand like AA that couldn't lay it down even when certainly beat. For the record, I hate bad beat stories and am known to put on headphones in a live game to avoid hearing them. I did not think that you told this as a bad beat story, rather as a did I play this hand right story.

I loved this forum a couple of years ago. Upon recently coming back the general antagonism and sarcasm has made me reluctant to post anything. There is a group on here whose only reason for being here seems to be to bash everyone else. I am reminded of the old days on rgb, and find myself wondering has Doogie found a new home?????

Skunkbush
08-24-2004, 05:28 AM
Exactly smiley. Instead of getting in free(checking it), you just fold it. That is probably the best advice I've heard so far on these forums.....