PDA

View Full Version : Too Chat or not too Chat?

Guernica4000
08-23-2004, 10:36 PM
I would like the room’s opinion on the following:

1) Chat, be funny and fun creating a positive image at the table. Hoping that players will take you less serious while you play solid poker. Maybe some players may lay down a hand to avoid busting their new e-friend. (Daniel Negreanu)

2) Chat and be Phil Helmuth annoy players with your mouth and play. Get them on tilt and hope they come gunning for you. Play solid and take them down when they come.

3) Play solid poker say NH and TY when appropriate and let the chips fall where may.

As you probably gathered from this post I am not a great player so any edge would be appreciated.

cnfuzzd
08-23-2004, 10:39 PM
if you are inexperienced, nh and ty will do. if you can take beats and are thick skinned, chat is great. Nothing like pulling a nice river and putting someone on tilt, or chatting up with some fish and becoming his or her friend. Good times. make sure and say "jesus loves me" at least twice per session.

peace

john nickle

SevenStuda
08-23-2004, 10:41 PM
Ir really depends on why you play online. If you do it to meet new and exciting people, and spend quality time with them, then maybe you should shoot the breeze with them.

-Dimitri

tree_stump
08-24-2004, 12:00 AM
I like to chat online, but for a much more nefarious reason. When you're friendly with people, you find that they will respect your raises more and almost start to think that you won't "lie" (bluff) to them because they're your "friend." Makes the game much easier when you know one or two players are more likely to fold to your plays. Plus, it helps pass the time!

Kopefire
08-24-2004, 12:21 AM
tree stump has it.

People do not like to believe that friends will lie to them. The more you can get people to like you, the easier it is to take their money.

There's even some peer-reviewed experiments that bear this out. The expecation that 'nice guys' don't lie is very very usefull!

Mike Gallo
08-24-2004, 12:30 AM
Act like yourself.

Do what feels comfortable.

Sometimes I am the life of the party other times I wont say a word to anyone all session long.

It all depends.

BarronVangorToth
08-24-2004, 12:41 AM
Personally, everyone has their own personal play style.

The one that works best for me is to just be myself: I joke around constantly, make constant sarcastic asides, always try to get people laughing, and I like to chat it up when I'm sitting at Foxwoods not only because it passes the time, but you see so many people (especially live vs. online) on a regular basis that it's idiotic to NOT try to build at least a casual friendship with them.

People play poker to have fun (yes, and win money) so there's little reason to do anything but make the waters as calm as possible.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

Guernica4000
08-24-2004, 01:21 AM
Thanks for all the advice.

Blarg
08-24-2004, 01:27 AM
If sticking a thumbtack into the tip of your nose was a +EV play, would you do it?

Sometimes it's not worth it, overthinking everything.

Cpt Spaulding
08-24-2004, 11:17 AM
follow the feel of the room...

Reef
08-24-2004, 01:09 PM
I think chat is also beneficial in a sense that you can get out any of your own frustrations. After taking a bad 2 outer beat, it calmes my nerves to give the person a peice of my mind (and helps prevent tilt). "nice suckout, suckout" usually does the trick

burningyen
08-24-2004, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If sticking a thumbtack into the tip of your nose was a +EV play, would you do it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends on how +EV it was.

CountDuckula
08-24-2004, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think chat is also beneficial in a sense that you can get out any of your own frustrations. After taking a bad 2 outer beat, it calmes my nerves to give the person a peice of my mind (and helps prevent tilt). "nice suckout, suckout" usually does the trick

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's the worst possible use of chat. Either they'll go away and you'll lose EV, or they'll tighten up and you'll lose EV. The best you can hope for is to put them on tilt, but if they're playing badly anyway, what difference does that make?

Never tap on the glass! /images/graemlins/cool.gif I'm human, and I've done it, but I've always regretted it afterward.

-Mike

cnfuzzd
08-24-2004, 04:38 PM
anyone who considers themselves a poker play should try to, regardless of how positive the plus is.

peace

john nickle

uw_madtown
08-24-2004, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends on how +EV it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beat me to it.

- UW

Blarg
08-24-2004, 09:41 PM
Sometimes I forget that I have an exceptionally beautiful nose. Perhaps if it weren't so ravishing, I wouldn't have assumed there was more than one answer to my question.

Reef
08-24-2004, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The best you can hope for is to put them on tilt

yep, that's one of my primary aims. But overall it becomes a +EV for me since:
1) I myself don't go on tilt as a result
2) I typically become even more determined to play better
3) name calling might have the fish coming after me

I don't ALWAYS do this. I sometimes use chat solely to relieve the frustration ( "wtf" , "Jesus doesn't love me" , "XXXX" ). It also may put other players in a position to believe that I am on tilt afterwards- thus paying off my hands.

later

Al Schoonmaker
08-25-2004, 06:56 AM
Since you admit that you're not a great player, focus on what's important, playing well.
Don't chat at all. It distracts you.
In addition, poker is an information management game. The more you get, and the less you give away, the better.
Let others give you information, but keep quiet and focus on playing well.
Regards,
Al

paland
08-25-2004, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

yep, that's one of my primary aims. But overall it becomes a +EV for me since:
1) I myself don't go on tilt as a result
2) I typically become even more determined to play better
3) name calling might have the fish coming after me

[/ QUOTE ]
If you try this on your friend, he might give you your $500 back.

LetsRock
08-29-2004, 08:53 PM
I think that #1 is the best option if that fits your personality. Having fun at the table is good for everyone. I usually try to fit right in with the crowd if I don't know anyone, or will chat it up with those I do know when we're out of a hand.

I'm not happy to admit that I do tend move towards the #2 option when things have been running bad. I don't verbally attack players, but I will whine a little and get grumpy. I don't like it and I imagine that others don't either. It's a personality flaw.

#3 is just asking to get no action on your bets and people trying to take down the "pro".