PDA

View Full Version : Set-ups

07-23-2002, 08:55 PM
I find that I use set-ups quite a bit in my game in order to re-enforce a tight image, and then take advantage of it later in the game.

just the opposite of an advertiser, I might check the river with a fairly strong hand in an obvious betting situation, in order to show the strength of my hand etc., or just call (early in the game) with an obvious raising hand, in order to re-enforce an image of very tight cautious player. There are lots of them, and I'm sure most of us use certain plays to "Set-up", for later, yet we tend not to talk about this subject very much. I'd love to read about the set-ups other players are using,...( maybe without thinking about it ), in order to profit later. Thanks folks

seeya

07-23-2002, 09:16 PM
I personally think unless you strongly represent one image through the play of your cards and then change gears, then concentrating on image and expecting all the players to be aware of it is just a waste of time. Especially when you give up a big bet early on, hoping to make it back later. Rarely will you be able to make multiple bets in a session purely from not betting the river on one hand. I hope you are AT LEAST talking about 20-40(even this is questionable), because where I come from, the players at limits lower than this are usually unaware of these overly tricky moves.

DN

07-23-2002, 11:35 PM
Okay???? The way it usually helps me is that I'm able to take alot of pots with 2-3 opponents

on the flop when there is no pre-flop raise etc. etc. So it gets me multiple bets in this way, by allowing to pick up the dead money more often.

I cant be the only player that sets up, and its certainly not tricky. seeya

07-24-2002, 05:25 AM
Al,

I believe that most of us that play limit holdem do not concioulsy make plays that are designed as "set ups". At least not at the mid limits. Mike Caro the "nutty professor" of poker is a proponent of "set up" type behavior but I think Mike is mostly smoking something when he gives out his crazy advice. I recently read an e-mail from Daniel Negreanu in which he explains (hypothetically) how he may act "drunk" and put in some suspicious raises to set up a play later on. That may work at the higher limits although I doubt it. But I will tell you that it is not what happens at the mid limits.

What does happen is that good poker players are very aware of what happens during a session. They have good memories because they are focused. They remember plays thay made and they take advantage of their image because of those plays. But I do not believe they conciously make plays as "set ups" as you put it. They make plays because the situation warrants a certain action and they make the right play for the right reason. In my opinion making a play as a "set-up" for later action is not a good move nor is it of any value in limit poker. No limit, now that's a differesnt story.

Vince

07-24-2002, 04:11 PM
I suspect that when you successfully steal on the flop against 2-3 opponents it's because they all have nothing. They're not laying down top pair.

Of course it's true that with a tight image you can successfully steal a little more than a loose-aggressive player, but you can only obtain this tight image by playing tight -- not by making the occasional bad play such as calling with a raising hand.

07-24-2002, 08:27 PM
Interesting concept, Al. The example you give is just the opposite of portraying a wild image in order to get paid off later (i.e. the Mike Caro approach). I agree with Mason that a wild image is no good for Hold 'em. You generally want people to fold in hold 'em. So, giving up a bet or two by playing like a little old lady may get you a leg up in order to rob an opponent or two of a whole pot later on. I like the idea! Obviously, these plays are of no or limited utility if you are playing in a small card club. But for a guy like me who walks into a Los Angeles megaclub or somewhere where they don't know me from Adam...well...I like the idea.

07-24-2002, 09:09 PM
Thanks SKP. What Vince is talking about is behavior type set-ups ,which I think is foolish,

as well.

But I realized that over the years that players who underplayed their hands rather than the loose maniacs, are the players whom I have to watch out for. they dont raise pre-flop they just call you down with the nuts, etc. I know that I adjust my play to these guys very quickly once I see a couple of plays like that, so I emulate them a bit, since I'm sure most sensible players make similar adjustments. A little goes a long way. But i was sure that other players do this as well. There are so many ways,... I was hoping to hear about more, but I guess I'm alone in my own little world.

Thanks again for the nice words .seeya