PDA

View Full Version : Made straight with four flush board, what now?

Unarmed
08-23-2004, 09:38 PM
1st hand of a 9 man SnG, stacks are 100 each, blinds 1-2.
Hero is BB with 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif villain is button.

All fold to Villain (calling station) who raises to 5. This could mean a decent king (if there is such a thing) and any ace, or a small-mid PP.
Only I call

Flop (2 players, 11t) 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
I pot my draw, villain tenatively calls. He'd auto-call any pair or A-x /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Turn (31t) 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
I bet 20t, thinking I have fold equity (partly due to his hesitance...given his playing style probably not a good idea) and may actually have the best hand.

River (71t) 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Both players have 65t. What do I do here? If I push he'll call me down with a set, two pair, and possibly TPGK.

Comments on all streets appreciated.

Thanks.

Unarmed
08-24-2004, 11:14 AM
Bump.
Did I completely screw this up?

I pushed the river as I figured he was on a low-mid PP and had probably hit his set somewhere along the line...
He showed A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif for the flush, a hand I had totally written off due to his flop call.

But just generally, with a four flush on the board and no flush card in your hand, should I be slowing down pretty much every time, even against a guy who will call way more hands then he'll bet?

Thinking I probably should have check-called both the turn and the river if his bet wasn't huge. He wasn't the type of tricky player that would bluff the river without a flush.

Anyway I clearly need some help with this one as I can't think of a solid line...short of folding suited connectors when out of position, don't really want to debate that as a calling station raising 3% of my stack PF when I have suited connectors is heaven IMO.

Eder
08-24-2004, 12:54 PM
Well I fold to the preflop raise,but definately getting your semibluff called should set off alarms...check/fold from here...your opponant made a bad call,but a smooth call postflop tells me overpair/2 pair or at least top pair...bluffing at the 4 flush much too risky imo

The4thFilm
08-24-2004, 01:26 PM
check/fold

why did you bet 2x the pot with your draw?

Unarmed
08-24-2004, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
check/fold

why did you bet 2x the pot with your draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

I potted the flop and 2/3 potted the turn.

mscott2374
08-24-2004, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thinking I probably should have check-called both the turn and the river if his bet wasn't huge. He wasn't the type of tricky player that would bluff the river without a flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that you have answered your own question here about how to play the river. You are basically saying that he will only bet the river if he has hit the flush. On that basis you should clearly check to him & if he bets you can fold knowing that he has a flush otherwise you will take down the put without further risk to your chips IMHO