PDA

View Full Version : In the SB with 99

Aces McGee
08-23-2004, 09:34 PM
$2/$4 on Party. No reads on anyone at the table, except a friend of mine is in the CO. He's a solid player; well-read, aggressive, not overly so.

UTG+1 open raises. UTG+2 calls. Folded to my buddy in the CO. He makes it 3 bets. Button folds.

I'm in the SB with 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif.

What's my action, and how close is it?

Thanks in advance.

-McGee

InchoateHand
08-23-2004, 09:57 PM
If your friend in the CO is "not overly" aggressive, at best you are facing two overcards. At worst, you are dominated by a higher pair. In my limited experience, this is a reasonable laydown. There are not enough players in to justify throwing in two more SB cold, especially given the chance that UTG-1 caps.
However, this is pretty read-dependent. There are better places to make your money...especially since you will have to act first.

TheHip41
08-23-2004, 10:03 PM
If I know the player who 3-bets it, and I think they are solid, I'll lay this down easily. But since it's your friend, you are almost required by law to call, and c/r the flop regardless of what hits /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Derek

Aces McGee
08-23-2004, 10:08 PM
I think that hidden in your joke, you have a valid point. My position is good relative to my friend in the CO, so if the flop comes favorably, I can checkraise and thin the field.

-McGee

InchoateHand
08-23-2004, 10:20 PM
Two part response:
If the flop comes favorable (ie. a nine) then i wouldn't want to thin the field. I'd pray they call two bets cold and go to the river with second best.
Second part:
Yeah...agree on the c/r w/the friend. I'd rather be HU against a friend then anybody else. There is a poster here who I've played with a fair bit in live games, and when we run into eachother online, its a decent recipe for LAGgy play.
Why I suggested the laydown, is the few players in for the flop: I don't think you are going to hit this, and get paid, frequently enough to justify the two additional SBs. Even if EVERYONE else at the table had AK, how could you play on anyflop that had an overcard to your PP, and no nine?
There are 3.5 BB in the pot, and you need to call 1 more...and UTG-1 almost has to re-raise given his unfavorable position, and need to control the action on the flop. So really figure 1:4 PF for a hand that hits 11% of the time. If they will pay you out in a big way, go ahead and call...though if you are going to call, and you are nearly certain its going to be capped, why not cap it yourself, and prey an unfriendly flop is checked to you?

Aces McGee
08-23-2004, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If the flop comes favorable (ie. a nine) then i wouldn't want to thin the field. I'd pray they call two bets cold and go to the river with second best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. If a nine flops, I'd bet out, and let my friend trap the whole field with his obligatory raise. But if it comes all low cards, I'd check raise.

-McGee