SB and 1st position player call.

Flop is J99.

SB bets.

1st position calls.

What do u do?

Thanks

07-23-2002, 02:06 PM

07-23-2002, 02:36 PM
Unless the bettor was TOM (Tight Old Man) or an LOL (Little Old Lady), I would normally raise. A typical player would go for a check-raise on the flop or maybe wait until the turn having trips. A bet in this situation usually means a pair and the bettor is trying to get the preflop raiser to fold his overcards like A-K or A-Q. The other guy could be drawing.

07-23-2002, 03:29 PM

07-23-2002, 03:41 PM
Jim, first of all....loved your book.

Your thinking about the bettor is exactly my thinking. If I am headsup I am definitely playing this to the river.

However, I am always very hesitant about playing with a big pair on the board when there is a bettor AND a caller before I must act (when I was preflop raiser). I think the most likely hand for the caller is trips (Aj, KJ, QJ, J10, 99) versus Q10 or 108.

In this case I have to hope that bettor has a medium pair and not the type of player to bet out trips AND the caller is on a draw or vice versa. And even then, i could still lose to the draw.

Not sure the odds justify playing to the river or not. A raise or course minimizes my losses if I am reraised.

07-23-2002, 04:01 PM
Raise - unless you have a good read on the opening better. It is rare that a player would bet a J in his seat because patience will probably get him more money. You want to stay in control of the hand and can regain the lead with a raise. If you are 3 bet, you can reconsider and fold or call to the river. If he calls and checks, you can then bet or check the turn, depending on your feel for the player. I like being able to look at my opponent for some guidance. Too bad you couldn't. What happened?

07-23-2002, 04:20 PM
what about this as a play. bet out with a jack and just call a raise from pre flop raiser(kk) and check raise the turn? a varience play as most think that a j would wait for the turn.

07-23-2002, 10:39 PM
Whether the flop is JJ9 or J99, my action is the same--raise.

07-24-2002, 01:43 AM
I folded the flop. It wasn't so much the SB bettor, but the early position caller that worried me. If it was headsup I definitely raise, but 2 players and HIGH pair usually spells danger to me. So the combination of the 2 players made me decide that $100 calling to the river was not worth it. Of course, a raise might make it cheaper.

The early player had QJ. Sorry I'm not sure what the SB player had.

I guess I made a weak play that happened to be right this one time as everyone has told me I should have raised.

07-24-2002, 01:46 AM
not much reason to raise the flop really.

stay out of the pp 20/40 if you are going to make folds like this. it would even be disastrous in the pp 3/6

07-24-2002, 02:28 AM