PDA

View Full Version : Did I jump the gun in pushing?

Hal 2000
08-23-2004, 06:07 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed)

SB (t1235)
BB (t1300)
UTG (t1740)
MP1 (t1150)
MP2 (t975)
CO (t1110)
Hero (t490)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls t50, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Hero calls t50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t200) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t200) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets t50</font>, UTG calls t50, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t440 (All-In)</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds.

Final Pot: t740

tubbyspencer
08-23-2004, 06:33 PM
I think you played it perfectly. You're calling about 10% of your stack on the button in an unraised pot hoping to flop a set. Checking the flop is a good trap. The 2c looks harmless enough - although it does allow for a possible striaght draw. A pot size bet is warranted here, IMO, and since it commits you to the pot if reraised, the general rule is push.

I'm guessing by the title of your post that you got beaten, perhaps by a higher set(if you got rivered by the flush or straight, then, as they say, "That's Poker"). But a pot sized bet is right in this situation - you don't want to let a flush draw continue without punishing him.

I push here and pray that I get called. You gotta double up some time - and you're not likely to have a hand as strong as this later on to do it with.

Ogre
08-23-2004, 09:00 PM
Your push was fine. You have to charge them for thier flush/stright draws and try to get called while you are still ahead. Even though you didn't double up you still took down a nice sized pot.

OGRE