PDA

View Full Version : Just how horribly can you misplay a set?

07-23-2002, 04:30 AM
Ugh.

Sitting in middle/late position (call it two off the button), I call with pocket sixes, not anticipating a raise and with a few callers ahead. I then turn my attention to SportsCenter on the TV, and when they finally yell at me to check or bet, I look down and see

Q-7-6 rainbow. /images/smile.gif

Mistake one: "Aha! Bottom set, not a lot of action. I think I'll slowplay!" So after check-check-bet, I call. Four players remain, including myself.

Q-7-6-8. /images/frown.gif

Mistake two: I decide to raise now, not believing that there's a straight out there. Check-check-bet-RAISE!

Naturally, the original bettor reraises, leaving us heads-up. Uh oh. He's got something...

Q-7-6-8-10. /images/frown.gif /images/frown.gif

Mistake three: I call his river bet like an idiot. And he had 10-9.

Bad Mojo! Horrible badly-playing Mojo! Should've raised the flop, called the turn and mucked the river, saving about fifty bucks.

07-23-2002, 05:12 AM
With him betting the flop with a gutshot and overcards, and you showing agression by raising the flop (which would have probably got the both of you heads up). He might have gone for a check-raise on the turn when hitting his key card, at whitch point is up to you to bet into the scare card or not!

07-23-2002, 05:18 AM
I think your analysis was too result oriented. In fact, most good players would lose more than you did. If your description is accurate then the flop better was also the one who bet the turn. It's very difficult to put him on the straight there. You probably should have reraised him on the turn. Usually they will have the 8-7 in the spot, not the 10-9. Its also ok to call on the flop given the small pot size and 3 tone board. I'm assuming you are playing 20-40 or higher.

07-23-2002, 05:22 AM
The 10-9 does not have overcards to the board since the flop came Q-high. The 8 is not a scare card on the turn. There is no card that is looks scary on the turn. The most dangerous might be a 5 that makes a flush draw possible. THere should be no card that should scare the set into not raising/betting on the turn. The call on the flop is ok given the small size of the pot and uncoordinated board.

07-23-2002, 11:47 AM
Classic example of playing your set fast in a coordinated board. You have position, raise the flop to charge drawing hands. If your opponent is sensible enough to realize that he does not have the odds for a gutshot, he could have folded.