PDA

View Full Version : So, how is that 10-20 game at the Mirage...

07-22-2002, 10:58 PM
I was there last week - wed thru sat and played quite a bit of $6-12. I found the game to be pretty soft although there were a few solid players in all of the games I was in. We just kind of stayed out of each other's way and cashed in on the 'customers'.

Very early on saturday morning at the end of nearly an 8 hour session the 10-20 and 20-40 game broke in the back and several of the players in addition to a couple dealers came and sat in our $6-12 game. A couple of them were talking big about how high they were playing and how these limits were low, not really mouthing too bad about it but trying to let the 3 of us that were left overs from the original 6-12 table know that they usually play higher.

I feel like I can play in the 10-20 but was doing fine in the 6-12 and didn't want to push my luck. A couple times I sat in a 3-6 game while I was waiting for a 6-12 to open up and found that the play in the 6-12 for the most part was strikinly similiar to the 3-6 game. It was like they were 3-6 caliber players with just more money to blow so they jump in the higher limit game.

Are the 10-20 games THAT much different than the 6-12 games? I realize that it has to be pretty different than the 3-6 games which are basically who shows down the best hand (and in many cases I wouldn't neccesarily call it the 'best' hand if you know what I mean - but it's enough to win the pot).

I can totally see some big rollers strolling into the poker room and not wanting to get involved with the low-limit game and jumping right into the 10-20 which is right in the middle. Not too low...but big enough to make (or lose) some serious money.

The next time I go back to Vegas I am definitely going to get into the 10-20 game. I played the 8-16 at the Bellagio for a while and it was absolutely insane. I figure if I can hang in that game and stay up a little then I can at least hang at the 10-20 provided I stick to my guns and play my best game.

Back to my point...sort of...I found that when the bigger players came to our table the game turned a little more loose-aggressive but the players played correctly. It was a little easier to put players on hands and also to lay down hands when it pretty obvious you were beat - and beat by a better hand not by some obnoxious moron who could either have AA or 72o.

The session with those players was probably the best time I had in my nearly 20 hours of playing at the Mirage that trip and was curious how the game 'generally' runs. I definitely feel like I can hang in the game but was looking for some 'regular's' thoughts...

TIA.