PDA

View Full Version : One more hand

07-22-2002, 03:01 PM
I hope i'm not just posting a bunch of routine hands. I know my game needs a lot of improvement, I'm just not exactly sure where. I do make a few obvious mistakes everytime I play, and when I think back over them they seem too obvious to post here. So, these are just some hands where I dont see too many obvious mistakes, but I'm no expert.

10/20 Holdem. Loose passive. Again my reputation is overly tight.

Preflop: six limper to the SB who calls. I'm the BB I raise with red KK. everyone calls.

Flop: 9s 6d 3d

I bet everyone calls.

Turn: 9s 6c 3d Kc

Is this an obvious slow play.

Joe

07-22-2002, 03:04 PM
I bet. Everyone folds.

Doh

07-22-2002, 04:12 PM
No, it's not. Here's the thing: When you bet the flop and the whole world calls after you had 7 callers for 2 bets a piece preflop...

...IT'S TIME TO PROTECT YOUR HAND (#1 reason to bet here)

Sure, the king is a beautiful card on the turn, but the goal is to win the pot at this point. If you can come up with a way not to jeopardize the pot AND add to it, well, that sounds good, right?

With this many players, you've got at least one or two (or three or four) drawing to straights and the backdoor flush. Make all the draws pay!

And give the gutshots a chance to muck.

Not to mention the fact that it is within the realm of possibility it might be catastrophically checked around (#2 reason to bet here).

And last but not least: you give a hand like 99, 66, 33 or K9 a chance to raise you (#3 reason to bet here [as opposed to slowplaying]).

Boy, ain't that a beautiful thing? A strategy with no downside.

07-22-2002, 04:14 PM
So, uh, slowplaying would've gone a whole lot better? Take the chips. Enjoy the money.

07-22-2002, 11:48 PM
Hi Joe,

You played this hand perfectly. Checking the turn is not an option unless you are 100% sure a specific person is going to bet this for you. You should know who is going to bet. A free card here is a not a good thing, unless you are full already.

soda

07-26-2002, 05:20 PM