PDA

View Full Version : Bottom 2....for ALL your chips?

Jah Red
08-23-2004, 01:22 PM
There is a disturbing trend brewing in my game that I don't quite know how to handle.

My last 3 MTT I have been busted after flopping bottom 2 pair from a free play in the big blind. No more than 1 or 2 opponents, my chips go in, cards show me in the lead, usually in front of top pair, but after 7 cards, I lose to 2 bigger pair.

Should I play these hands differently?

BTW
In each tourney, down to usually 30% of starting players, I have average stack at my table and I am feeling pretty comfortable.

Edit:
I can only recall the last 2:
8 4 on an 8 4 10 board. Raised all in by q 10, rivered q
6 4 on a 3 4 6 board. Raised all in by 5 5, turn 2 for OES

How does this change any answers

dogmeat
08-23-2004, 01:35 PM
Each situation is different. If the flop comes 2 5 Q and you are up against two or three opponents, this should be a moneymaker. If you have 8 10 and the flop is 8 10 J, now you have a trouble hand, just like any hand that includes two high cards. I would want to get my money in on the 2 5 Q flop, but just as easily I might checkraise there and get all-in. I might also check, call, and checkraise the turn. If you picked the better spots to get all-in with bottom two pair, you just got unlucky, but your callers have a lot of outs. In the 2 5 Q hand, if you force a player all-in and he has a Q, you lose to a runner runner pair, or his kicker hitting, or maybe he is already on two pair. You are not a monster favorite. Enter a hand like this at {card player or two dimes} and you will see, especially against two callers that you are not a huge favorite.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif