PDA

View Full Version : Could poker ever become an olympic sport? How about golf?

bernie
08-23-2004, 12:06 PM
Kind of a twist to the question of whether poker is a sport. But then again, synchonized swimming/diving is considered an olympic 'sport'. So let's go from there.

Personally, i don't think it would since it is based on monetary gain. The main goal is money. Which doesn't coincide with the 'amateur/not for the money' spirit of the games. I don't see anyone really going through a grind for only a medal. Except maybe jim mcmanus.

Golf may be more acceptable in that regard, though i don't see that happening either.

b

Clarkmeister
08-23-2004, 12:11 PM
Golf would be fine. Poker would not. There is simply too much of a random element in poker to consider it in the same vein as other Olympic competitions which have very very small luck elements.

elwoodblues
08-23-2004, 12:15 PM
Synchronized swimming/diving might not be the most entertaining sports (though I really like watching the diving), but suggesting that poker is near on par with them as a sport is silly.

ThaSaltCracka
08-23-2004, 12:24 PM
never, because poker is not a sport.

BeerMoney
08-23-2004, 12:45 PM
I actually really like the idea of golf... It could be like the 5th major every four years! Overall though, I really think there are too many sports and the olympics are a drag in general...

I attribute the olympics not being as fun to a few things:
End of the cold war, letting the Dream Team play some years ago, and too many stupid sports.

NotMitch
08-23-2004, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kind of a twist to the question of whether poker is a sport. But then again, synchonized swimming/diving is considered an olympic 'sport'. So let's go from there.

Personally, i don't think it would since it is based on monetary gain. The main goal is money. Which doesn't coincide with the 'amateur/not for the money' spirit of the games. I don't see anyone really going through a grind for only a medal. Except maybe jim mcmanus.

Golf may be more acceptable in that regard, though i don't see that happening either.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC golf used to be in. Poker will never be and shouldn't.

SinCityGuy
08-23-2004, 06:57 PM
Can you picture Tomer Benvinisti running up the steps to light the Olympic flame? He'd probably have a heart attack.

M2d
08-23-2004, 07:57 PM
if you watch on TV, the players seem higher, they play faster, and try to act stronger, so maybe they fit into the olympic creed.

bernie
08-24-2004, 05:08 PM
I compared them because poker isn't left up to judges. There is no doubt based on style points who wins. Im not a fan of a 'sport' that leaves to much to the element of judges.

So in that respect, i think poker is more of a sport than synchronized anything. Not that it doesn't take talent and practice, it's just too subjectional to someone else's views. I don't see art as competition.

b

bernie
08-24-2004, 05:09 PM
But it's more of a definitive competition than some other olympic sports.

b

bernie
08-24-2004, 05:10 PM
_

bernie
08-24-2004, 05:11 PM
What year was golf in?

b

benfranklin
08-24-2004, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
other Olympic competitions which have very very small luck elements.

[/ QUOTE ]

You apparently have not been watching Men's Gymnastics /images/graemlins/blush.gif

JTG51
08-24-2004, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But it's more of a definitive competition than some other olympic sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that have to do with anything? A spelling bee is a definitive competition. So is a hot dog eating contest. Should those be Olympic sports?

Golf on the other hand, seems like an obvious choice. I don't understand why it isn't already an Olympic sport. There must be some reason. I'm guessing it has to be by far the most popular world wide sport that isn't part of the Olympics.

ThaSaltCracka
08-24-2004, 06:10 PM
it may be more of a competition but it is less of a sport because poker involves zero athletic ability.

Oski
08-24-2004, 06:12 PM
Poker = Olympic Sport. Sure.

Just picture all of the human interest stories about grueling 16-hour training days, with the occasional 36-hour marathon "training session" mixed in.

We have a few characters to throw in the mix as well:

Tony from Australia;
and Mr. "THE ISLAND OF CRETE!" for starters.

You also have all the French supporters who sh!t themselves over a dashing all in.

Of course, don't forget the most seasoned and experienced team: The Vietnamese crew working the Bike ... They are Olympic Ready within 24-hours' notice. I smell Gold, Silver, and Bronze ... and that's just their dental work. That womens' team sure will be hard to beat.

M2d
08-24-2004, 06:31 PM
I don't think luck had anything to do with the Men's Gymnastics results.

bernie
08-24-2004, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A spelling bee is a definitive competition. So is a hot dog eating contest. Should those be Olympic sports?

[/ QUOTE ]

The way the hotdog eating sport is gaining notoriety, who knows. Other than Clarks response regarding the luck factor, which i tend to agree with, it has as much claim as other 'new' sports.

I guess a better tangent question is "what makes an olympic sport, an olympic sport?"

Other than trying to get the targeted female audience for the advertising dollars, that is.

b

bernie
08-24-2004, 06:37 PM
Interesting point. Although, stamina does play a part. To a lesser degree that is. I guess in that case a question could be asked why chess isn't in the olympics? Or has it ever been?

b

bernie
08-24-2004, 06:39 PM
_

ThaSaltCracka
08-24-2004, 06:42 PM
chess isn't a sport either.
neither is monopoly or go fish, or bingo or crazy 8's or hungry hungry hippos, nor are video games. They are not sports, they can be competitive but only as a competitive hobby. Sorry Bernie, your Olympics hopes have been dashed /images/graemlins/grin.gif

M2d
08-24-2004, 06:49 PM
if it's a sliding scale, I'd say that hungry hungry hippos is more of a sport than poker or chess.

bernie
08-24-2004, 06:54 PM
Im not saying poker should/shouldn't be in the olympics, im just throwing out the question. Given some of the sports in the olympics that i certainly don't consider sports at all, this to me, opens a door for other possibilities.

So just saying poker isn't a sport, isn't good enough. the physical aspects and luck factor are great points. However, by definition, any of them, even the ones i dont like, can be considered a sport. Athletic or not.

Why not go out on a limb and say....Horseracing? Would you consider that a sport?

b

WEASEL45
08-24-2004, 06:57 PM
wasnt ballroom dancing in the olympics last time. theres no way that can be considered a sport.

ThaSaltCracka
08-24-2004, 06:58 PM
for the horse yeah, for the jockey.... hmmm... yeah I think so, but I think NASCAR is a sport to.

ThaSaltCracka
08-24-2004, 06:59 PM
it involves physical ability and cordination, it may not be a sport, but its more of a sport than poker.

JTG51
08-24-2004, 07:02 PM
Other than Clarks response regarding the luck factor, which i tend to agree with, it has as much claim as other 'new' sports.

Yeah, except that the other sports are sports and poker isn't.

Don't you think there should be at least some physical ability involved before we call something a sport? Should they also add Bridge? Cribbage? Chess? Crossword puzzle solving? Adding numbers really fast in your head?

bernie
08-24-2004, 07:31 PM
Personally, i think there should be some physical element involved to be an olympic sport. Something that involves long, intense training. I also believe there shouldn't be any judged olympic sports.

How about bowling? I mean, they have curling. How physical is curling?

b

brassnuts
08-24-2004, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is simply too much of a random element in poker to consider it in the same vein as other Olympic competitions

[/ QUOTE ]

They could have a series of events and have judges vote on who played the best.

On another note, I don't think it belongs in the olympics.

Cyrus
08-25-2004, 05:32 AM
If ever there is a question of introducing mind sports in the Olympics, I think Chess has a clear lead over Poker. Golf is another matter, though, since it meets all the requirements of physical involvement and competition involved in an Olympic sport.

Since the chances of Chess being accepted are already quite low (it was not even approved as an exhibition event), I'd say the chances of Phil Hellmuth winning an Olympic medal are quite slim.

Unless he is good at wrestling or something.

stripsqueez
08-25-2004, 07:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There is simply too much of a random element in poker to consider it in the same vein as other Olympic competitions which have very very small luck elements.

[/ QUOTE ]

crap - it is a big lie to suggest that poker, bridge, and even chess involve luck to succeed in - loosers believe it - name a sport and i'll tell you how you can be unlucky

bridge is a recognised olympic sport and i thought chess was as well - the only reason why bridge is not being played at the olympics is dramas finding room in the hectic schedule and problems with the drug testing rules

having played a couple of team sports at a decent level and bridge at a high level i think they are much the same thing - i have no interest in whether the word sport should encompass "mind games" but the argument that bridge, poker, chess doesnt involve a physical element doesnt wash with me - last time i checked my head was part of my body - sports like shooting and archery are at least 95% mental and if you asked a 100 metre runner he will probably tell you the same thing about that sport

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

NotMitch
08-25-2004, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What year was golf in?

b

[/ QUOTE ]

tolbiny
08-25-2004, 10:56 AM
i would pay good money to see phil helmuth take on an olympic wrestler..... damn good money

elwoodblues
08-25-2004, 11:00 AM
He would be pinned in less than 3 seconds -- no question about it.

tolbiny
08-25-2004, 11:02 AM
i would be pinned in less than three seconds- and i used to wrestle.... THOSE GUYS ARE BEASTS!!!!!!!

ThaSaltCracka
08-25-2004, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
having played a couple of team sports at a decent level and bridge at a high level i think they are much the same thing

[/ QUOTE ] this is a joke right?

[ QUOTE ]
i have no interest in whether the word sport should encompass "mind games" but the argument that bridge, poker, chess doesnt involve a physical element doesnt wash with me

[/ QUOTE ] This too, right?

[ QUOTE ]
sports like shooting and archery are at least 95% mental and if you asked a 100 metre runner he will probably tell you the same thing about that sport

[/ QUOTE ] LOL, okay, my side hurts from laughing so much, stop with all these jokes.

bernie
08-25-2004, 11:27 AM
Cool. Im guessing it must've been in europe somewhere.

Sorry, i should've asked this along with the year. Why not leave golf in the games?

b

NotMitch
08-25-2004, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cool. Im guessing it must've been in europe somewhere.

Sorry, i should've asked this along with the year. Why not leave golf in the games?

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope it was in St Louis but almost everyone in the games was American or Canadian as far as I can tell. I don't know why golf wasn't left in other than at the time there did not seem to be a really firm set of what was in and what was out like today.

bernie
08-25-2004, 12:22 PM
Could you imagine if a small country threw some hacker into the games? Watch some guys round where he goes and shoots about a 130 playing in the same foursome as a pro or something comparable. Kind of like the jamaican bobsled guys. Imagine the possibilities...

b

Victor
08-25-2004, 12:29 PM
As far as mind sports go, there was actually a campaign to include bridge at the last winter olympics. Of course it failed.

ThaSaltCracka
08-25-2004, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As far as mind sports go, there was actually a campaign to include bridge at the last winter olympics. Of course it failed.

[/ QUOTE ] why stop there, lets try to get 20 questions in the olympics or how about Scattegories??? If there are people so inclined to beleive any of this crap is a sport, then they should create the Mind game olympics. I can picture it now... a bunch of fat people playing games which require zero athletic ability discussing their extensive and intense training they had to do, as well as physical conditiong it takes to sit on your ass for long periods of time. None of this [censored] are sports, period, and to act or even try to say they are opens yourself up for incredible ridicule and name calling.

Now, as for absurd physical games, why not 4-square?

Uston
08-25-2004, 01:19 PM
That's kinda why athletes need to qualify for the Olympics.

Victor
08-25-2004, 02:32 PM
n/m

Oski
08-25-2004, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Now, as for absurd physical games, why not 4-square?

[/ QUOTE ]

Too easy to collude.

bernie
08-25-2004, 02:51 PM
Is that true for all countries, or just bigger countries like the US?

I don't remember the jamaican bobsled team 'qualifying' to compete.

Im sure there'd be at least a few hackers out there. Otherwise, it'd be just like the ryder cup.

b

bernie
08-25-2004, 02:52 PM
How much athletic ability does curling take?

b

MaxPower
08-25-2004, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Don't you think there should be at least some physical ability involved before we call something a sport? Should they also add Bridge? Cribbage? Chess? Crossword puzzle solving? Adding numbers really fast in your head?

[/ QUOTE ]

What about chip tricks? What about throwing playing cards through pieces of fruit? Those are impressive physical skills. Just as interesting as Gymnastics. Imagine Dutch Boyd shuffling a stack of chips while doing a 360.

Oski
08-25-2004, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

What about chip tricks? What about throwing playing cards through pieces of fruit? Those are impressive physical skills. Just as interesting as Gymnastics. Imagine Dutch Boyd shuffling a stack of chips while doing a 360.

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine Dutch Boyd shuffling a stack of chips while doing a 360 ... on Fischman's knob?

ThaSaltCracka
08-25-2004, 03:35 PM
way more than poker, bridge, or anyother mind game.