PDA

View Full Version : 77 UTG. Insert intriguing phrase here.

bisonbison
08-23-2004, 11:00 AM
MP1 is a little loose and pretty aggro, but he's not a LAG.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>...

daveymck
08-23-2004, 11:13 AM
It is intriguing, he doesnt cap the flop but raises the turn, its as if he maybe thinks you have twos but with the thrd one coming disregards that and thinks his PP full house is good.

I call the turn raise and check call the river, you are getting 6-1 go goto showdown (ie 1 more bet here and one on the river 2 more bets to win 12) I do suspect you are behind in this case but enough times you see people do this with an ace in their hand that it is still potentially profitable.

sthief09
08-23-2004, 11:27 AM
easy muck, and I'd be really surprised if he doesnt have a big pair, because he played it exactly like someone who has a big pair.

I do think you overplayed it on the flop by 3-betting though. personally I would've bet into him, called his raise, then check-called down. I feel like you lose a lot against big pairs here, and don't make that much extra against overcards (on the river, he often won't call a bet after all your flop action, and he probably won't bet if checked to).

sthief09
08-23-2004, 11:29 AM
you think this guy is screwing around with nothing 14% of the time?

bisonbison
08-23-2004, 11:32 AM
Yarrr.

I (ugh) called down.* And I got shown QQ.

When I replayed this in PT without showing his hand my immediate thought was "this is how I play AA". Mucking should have been easy-peasy, and I'll have to reconsider the flop an overpair against PF raiser HU play. I think I've been wanting people to fold their 6 out draws against me HU and that's dumb. Win less when ahead, lose more when behind.

*Which sucks.

daveymck
08-23-2004, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you think this guy is screwing around with nothing 14% of the time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Read dependant yes you see it enough when the board has trips or when two pairs are on it that guys then think their A high is good.

If you are folding to a raise on the turn here you should not bet out.

And I would have played it the same way as you did ie check calling down.

tolbiny
08-23-2004, 11:38 AM
Looks pretty bad to me too- even when raiser has overcards he still has 6 outs- and he will usually check behind on the river when he misses/bet when he hits and still bet his overpair. still not a big enough pot to call down.

sthief09
08-23-2004, 11:39 AM
yeah, most of the time they're going to see the river with their 6 out draws anyway. personally, I'm too passive headsup in these situations. I call them down hopign to get them to bluff into me, but a lot of the time they catch weak draws on me simply because I didn't bet. the reason I generally do this is because online players almost never take a free card in these situations. there's little risk of checking and having AK check behind you on the turn.

sthief09
08-23-2004, 11:42 AM
if you can fold to a raise that's MORE of a reason to bet out. after bison kept betting and raising on the flop, the guy can't think that he'll be able to push him off a hand when the 3rd 2 comes out. this is pretty much a protected pot, because Hero showed enough aggression that an opponent can't realistically think he'll be able to push him off a hand. after you've shown a lot of aggression in a hand, your opponents' bets and raises generally represent a bigger hand than if you hadn't shown much aggression (for example, if bison pulled a stop and go, that's a weak play, and a turn raise could come from overcards).

StellarWind
08-23-2004, 01:53 PM
The turn situation is painful. Between the chance that he is bluffing and the chance of spiking a seven, your are losing a lot of equity by folding. But I can't see calling because it's 2 BB and usually he has it.

The problem with this hand is the flop. If you really had a 2 or 55 (or a flush draw) you would never stick it to the BB by betting this flop into the PFR. MP1 can safely put you somewhere between 99 and A5. That allows him to smooth-call the flop and raise the turn without fear.

Checkraise the flop planning to bet the turn. It really isn't important whether he folds his overcards or draws them out. It's nearly a wash when you add in his implied odds. The big advantage is that raising the turn with an overpair is very hard for him. You don't have to pay extra for a showdown and you get your river card. If he insists on raising anyway he is almost certainly not bluffing and at least you can fold in comfort.

In the bigger picture this also harmonizes your play. You don't want to play one way with a pair and a different way with trips. Granted, they might not fold AA when you have trips, but they could stop drawing to AK.

bisonbison
08-23-2004, 01:59 PM
I grok what you're saying.

Against all but the most aggressive players, with a 2 here I would c/r the flop and lead the turn.

joker122
08-23-2004, 02:03 PM
I'd fold to the turn raise. Is that bad?