PDA

View Full Version : Getting value from AA

stigmata
08-23-2004, 07:57 AM
Hi

I seem to be having problems with big hands. Either someone checks me all the way to the river, and then hits their flush, or the other problem is that the game suddenly tightens up.

For example, below is a PartyPoker $0.5-1. The read on the players that saw the flop is that they were reasonably tight.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP3 checks, Button checks.

Turn: (4 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP3 folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: 5 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. Hero wins 5 BB. </font>

How could I get more value from this hand? Should I have not raised Pre-flop, knowing that the other players were tight? This way, my failed attempt at a check-raise/slow-play may have been more successful.

Should I have perhaps waited for the river to slow-play. E.g. I made it look like I had three of a kind sixes, rather than 3 of a kind aces. Was slow-playing a bad plan, as the flush draw was on?

General advice on playing AA in loose games welcome....

bisonbison
08-23-2004, 08:05 AM
.5/1 hands go in the micro forum.

Bet the flop. It's really that simple.

nepenthe
08-23-2004, 08:07 AM
You seem to be new here. I'll put this in as few words as possible, taking into account the sensitivity and complexity of the subject matter, along with a serene, personal touch.

BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP. BET THE FLOP.

It's a loose low-limit game. Most players, even weak-tight ones, will take one off. BET THE FLOP.

Raising and then checking on an Ace-high flop screams 1) nothing, or 2) monster. Even fishes know this. It's folly to expect anyone else to bet with anything less than an Ace here, of which you have two. BET THE FLOP.

Even if you have a singleton Ace, BET THE FLOP.
Even if you have KK-TT, BET THE FLOP.

Sorry for having been unclear.

BET THE FLOP.
/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

daveymck
08-23-2004, 08:34 AM
I seem to have bene beaten to a bet the flop comment.

Bet the flop.

citizenkn
08-23-2004, 09:19 AM
This flop probably missed everyone except a guy holding two hearts, and if you don't make him pay to see the next card, there's a good possibility that he will happily take it for free.

If you bet the flop, fishes with any kind of backdoor draw (three to a straight or three to a flush) will often try to see one more card. But once the turn is a dud, no one will stick around for the river....

stigmata
08-23-2004, 10:25 AM
Apologies for posting in the wrong forum.

I would normally play this much more aggressively. However, I did not for two reasons:

1. I was worried everyone would fold if I bet. They were tight players, and clearly not holding an Ace, I figured they were QJ or JT etc.

2. I had reason to believe the Button was going to bluff - I see this alot. Hence the failed check-raise.

If the flush draw was not so easy (e.g. the flop was rainbow), would I now have a good reason not to bet the flop?