PDA

View Full Version : giant monitor

curtains
08-23-2004, 05:27 AM
Tomorrow I plan to buy a giant monitor, as Im no longer satisfied with being able to play 4 games with no overlap. I'd rather buy just one big monitor, than buy another one like this and just have 2 monitors side by side. I beleive now I have a 17 incher with 1600x1200 capabilities...

My questions are....

If I buy a monitor thats 19 inches with 1920x1440 resolution, will I be able to easily play 9 games on it with no overlap? What about 21 inches?

Is it all hopeless and must I buy a 2nd monitor, and use that system instead? Any advice, as to where to go and what monitor I need to play the maximum number of games without overlapping. Im willing to pay a reaasonable amount (a few thousand, although I'd rather not pay so much). Thanks a lot, PMs and emails to gregshahade@yahoo.com would be greatly appreciated!

curtains
08-23-2004, 05:27 AM
sorry have to post again so i can add this to my favorites /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cubswin
08-23-2004, 05:46 AM
Quick lesson on monitors. The size of the monitor has nothing to do with the number of tables you can play.... the only number that means anything as far as this is concerned is resolution. A 1600x1200 resolution monitor can fit 4 party tables because the party tables are 800x600 in size. You would have to have a 2400x1200 or a 1600x1800 resolution monitor to have 6 games with no overlap and these resolutions simply arent made. If you want to spend 6 grand i can give you a link for a monitor that will allow you to play 16 games with no overlap but the games will be really small. If you want want to get the most games for the buck your best bet is setting up a dual monitor system with two 1600x1200s which will allow you to play 8 tables with no overlap. You can run both the monitors off a single computer and the mouse will move between the two screens. Im not an expert on this but if this is something you are interested in chime in and someone will certainly give you the tech supprt here.

regards
cubs

curtains
08-23-2004, 06:05 AM
Thanks a lot for the info, I didnt know that! I am currently using a laptop. Would this hinder my dreams of hooking up two monitors? I already have one hooked up to my laptop....but there are no more spots to plug it in. Im assuming I can get some kind of converter?

The once and future king
08-23-2004, 06:36 AM
However the size of the monitor will have some impact on the size of the tables visualy.

It dosnt effect how many tables you can fit on the screen as that is determined purely by resolution. However on bigger monitors the tables will appear bigger and you will have to squint less.

Blarg
08-23-2004, 07:34 AM
Yeah. Even two inches can make a lot of difference in legibility and eyestrain. A 19-inch is much easier on the eyes than a 17. A 21-inch isn't quite the same leap up from a 19, but it's still there.

You can get 19-inchers that will do 1600x1200 here in California for under $100 sometimes on sale at Frys.

TimM
08-23-2004, 09:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks a lot for the info, I didnt know that! I am currently using a laptop. Would this hinder my dreams of hooking up two monitors? I already have one hooked up to my laptop....but there are no more spots to plug it in. Im assuming I can get some kind of converter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe if they make a docking station that gives you access to both monitor connections, that would be the easiest way.

I don't know if they make a PC Slot video card (PCMCIA), but they do make an external enclosure that will allow you to attach a PCI card to a laptop. Either of these should give you another independent monitor output, which would allow you to have a third monitor.

theWhale
08-23-2004, 10:18 AM
You need 2 1600x1200 monitors and you will be able to get 8 on the screens with no overlap. 9 is impossible without a 4th unless you have 2 widescreens with the middle tables split between them.

Get 2 22" crts if you have the space. Will cost you $1000. If you dont have that kind of deskspace, look for dells 20 inch flat panel to go on sale and grab 2 of them for $1500.

mistrpug
08-23-2004, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on the laptop, you might be able to use the laptop screen and another monitor for extended desktop. That's what I do.

[ QUOTE ]
You can get 19-inchers that will do 1600x1200 here in California for under $100 sometimes on sale at Frys.

[/ QUOTE ]

If anyone knows where one can get a deal close to this online, please post or PM me.

mrjim
08-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Me as well.

Cubswin
08-23-2004, 02:45 PM
Yeah...me too. I thought the viewsonic 19 inch 1600x1200 G90f (http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/crtmonitors/graphicseries/g90fb/) was a deal at $220 (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=24-116-282&DEPA=0) .

cubs