PDA

View Full Version : Some help with this down to 4 player hand....please

pokerstudAA
08-23-2004, 03:21 AM
What I know about UTG: fairly loose player - has bluffed several times up to this point. I caught him once a few hands ago but he drew out on me and I doubled him up. He has been playing alot of hands at this point.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (4 handed)

Button (t8080)
Hero (t9100)
BB (t2140)
UTG (t10680)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls t600, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t1800) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t2300</font>, BB folds, UTG calls t2300.

At this point I bet to try to get the flush draw out of this hand. I thought UTG might be on the flush draw and did not want to give him any odds to draw out. An overpair would have been delicious...I almost pushed at this point but wanted to get the 2pr paid off. Anyone in favor of pushing?

Turn: (t6400) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t2500</font>, UTG calls t2500.

Wanted to make him pay again. This time I became a bit concerned about the straight draw if UTG has a J. I could not afford to make a huge bet at the pot at this point. When he called I thought that I could beat.

River: (t11400) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t2200</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t5200</font>, Hero calls t1500 (All-In).

Here - I forgot my concerns about the flush draw and thought UTG was check raising that A with a J kicker or something similar. I had already committed too many chips to this pot and had to call for all my chips. Anyone think this pot committed thought is BS and fold. Trying to fight it out with a small stack?

Final Pot: t20300

At this point in the tournament the blinds will eat up one player rather quickly with an almost guaranteed 3rd place for me. This huge pot could give me a nice chip lead over the remaining players.

My question: knowing that the UTG can bust me should I lay back and not be so aggressive with this hand or should I have pushed it harder earlier? Are these the type of chances I need to be taking to get 1st? Should I avoid the other two players and wait until one of us has a good shot at the small stack and move into third? That would have given the 3 remaining about equal stacks.

Dominic
08-23-2004, 04:25 AM
You push on the turn...what he has is irrelevant at this point...can't be scared of the monster straight under the bed, here...if he's calling your flop and turn bet, I don't see a flush draw here unless he's an inexperienced player....looks like top pair here, but if so, why no raise? Bad kicker? Or, maybe he's got a 2 pair or even a set?

Doesn't matter...my two pair is going all in on the turn to push out that possible flush draw.

/images/graemlins/smirk.gif