08-23-2004, 02:07 AM
Whew!!!! 100M finals!!!
Gatlin(USA) 9.85
Francis Obikwelu(Portugal) 9.86
Greene(USA) 9.87
Crawford(USA) 9.89

Clarkmeister
08-23-2004, 02:09 AM
That was one hell of a race. Very exciting.

Mayhap
08-23-2004, 02:24 AM
I'm really happy for Gatlin.
He's got plenty of future too.
/M

ThaSaltCracka
08-23-2004, 10:55 AM
I wanted a more bombastic celebration from Gatlin, but oh well, I stayed up hella late just to watch it. When is the last time a white guy won that race? 1910?

WDC
08-23-2004, 11:02 AM
It would have been more bombastic, but there wasn't a Canadian around to taunt.

BeerMoney
08-23-2004, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Whew!!!! 100M finals!!!
Gatlin(USA) 9.85
Francis Obikwelu(Portugal) 9.86
Greene(USA) 9.87
Crawford(USA) 9.89

[/ QUOTE ]

I always wonder why these guys don't just play football.

ThaSaltCracka
08-23-2004, 11:23 AM
a lot of them did in high school, and some in college.

ThaSaltCracka
08-23-2004, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It would have been more bombastic, but there wasn't a Canadian around to taunt.

[/ QUOTE ] I think none of their sprinters passed the drug test....

busguy
08-23-2004, 01:56 PM
Are you drunk ??

Pass a drug test ?? This question coming from an American. How many American atheletes have been tossed for drug test failures. Look what happens when your "queen" of the track, Marion Jones is disconected from her IV. She cannot even make your olympic team.

We have ONE athelete get nailed for drugs (16 years ago) and we deserve your humor ??. Granted Ben Johnson was a pretty huge scandal when it broke but I'd wager that 75% of all track atheletes at that time where on juice. He was just one of them who got caught. Oh and by the way juice or no juice he is still the fastest man to ever run the 100 (9.78).

Another question for you, Who still holds the world record in the hundred 5 years after it was attained . . . Donavon Bailey . . . . a CANADIAN from a country of 34 million people (less than the state of California).

If I came from a country or 270 million + I don't think I'd be taking pot shots at a country a 1/10 of it's size to make me feel good.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif busguy

ThaSaltCracka
08-23-2004, 02:18 PM
you are a freakin moron man, first of all I was kidding, but now you pissed me off.
[ QUOTE ]
Another question for you, Who still holds the world record in the hundred 5 years after it was attained . . . Donavon Bailey

[/ QUOTE ]
World Record holders:
100m 9.78 Tim Montgomery (US) Paris, France 9/14/02
200m 19.32 Michael Johnson (US) Atlanta, Georgia 8/01/96
400m 43.18 Michael Johnson (US) Seville, Spain 8/26/99
There isn't even one Canadian who holds a world record for any male track events, unless you are talking about some sort of worthless indoor track and field event (50m), and even that one is tied by Mo Greene from the US.

[ QUOTE ]
Granted Ben Johnson was a pretty huge scandal when it broke but I'd wager that 75% of all track atheletes at that time where on juice

[/ QUOTE ] how come BJ was the only one found guilty then, you delirious dumb [censored].

Just so you know, Bailey holds the Olympic record and not the world record.
you stupid canuck (http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/records/records.jsp?sex=M&typeId=0)

pudley4
08-23-2004, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh and by the way juice or no juice he is still the fastest man to ever run the 100 (9.78).

[/ QUOTE ]

He ran 9.79

Maurice Greene ran a legal (no-juice) 9.79

Tim Montgomery ran a (possibly no-juice) 9.78

busguy
08-23-2004, 02:22 PM
LOL

I wonder if that cube is still a cube ??

/images/graemlins/grin.gif busguy

busguy
08-23-2004, 02:26 PM
Cheers for that Jeff.

I stand corrected

/images/graemlins/frown.gif busguy

BeerMoney
08-23-2004, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Granted Ben Johnson was a pretty huge scandal when it broke but I'd wager that 75% of all track atheletes at that time where on juice

[/ QUOTE ] how come BJ was the only one found guilty then, you delirious dumb [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, from what I understand, a lot of T&F athletes use juice, its just the rules people only come down when they are using ridiculous quantities.. Like TJ Hunter supposedly failed a bunch of drug tests before it actually made news.. This is sheer rumor stuff, but that's what i've heard from some people I know that are actual olympic track and field athletes.

ThaSaltCracka
08-23-2004, 02:41 PM
I think most people who watch the Olympics know that Track and Field is one sport in which drug use is rampant, I don't think it is exclusive to one group or country, but yeah I would agree with you and the canadian that drug use is rampant in the sport.

BeerMoney
08-24-2004, 11:58 AM
Add the 400M to the American dominance. US went 1-2-3!

ThaSaltCracka
08-24-2004, 12:12 PM
USA USA USA USA USA!!!!!!!!!!!!
WE RUN THINGS!!!!
The only reason why other countries even win a medal is because we let them!!!! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

BeerMoney
08-24-2004, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

WE RUN THINGS!!!!
The only reason why other countries even win a medal is because we let them!!!! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point!

Graham
08-24-2004, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When is the last time a white guy won that race? 1910?

[/ QUOTE ]

Alan Wells (Scotland -- cue cheering and singing..) sometime about 20 years ago...84'? 88?

ThaSaltCracka
08-24-2004, 04:59 PM
thanks, because I seriously had no idea.

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 12:47 AM
BTW, in case any non-Americans have forgotten, we are still dominating the Olympics /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 02:22 AM
wow, a clean sweep in the 200M, simply amazing. How about that Greek crowd???? So classy!!!!

Cyrus
08-27-2004, 02:59 AM
"A clean sweep in the 200M, simply amazing. How about that Greek crowd???? So classy!!!!"

It makes it all the more classy when you consider that one of the favorites to win the 200 metre race, Greek Kostas Kenteris, had dropped out of the Games a week ago, after that fiasco with WADA trying to find him to get a sample, him disappearing into the night, etcetera. The media reported that WADA acted on Kenteris after the American team got one visit too many from WADA, as they saw it, in their camp, and demanded that WADA also pays a visit to the Greek favorite "or else".

But, after all was said and done, the Greeks, who have en masse turned their backs to their former idol (they hugely disapprove of drug-taking in sports), applauded the Americans.

Cyrus
08-27-2004, 03:56 AM
Canadian MP calls U.S. 'idiots' (http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americas/08/26/canada.us.reut/index.html)

Woo hoo.

BeerMoney
08-27-2004, 09:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
wow, a clean sweep in the 200M, simply amazing. How about that Greek crowd???? So classy!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel bad for the other countries.

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] why?

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The media reported that WADA acted on Kenteris after the American team got one visit too many from WADA, as they saw it, in their camp, and demanded that WADA also pays a visit to the Greek favorite "or else".

[/ QUOTE ] The Greek media reported this. Apparently the media over there has been lying about the U.S. the whole time during the Olympics.

nicky g
08-27-2004, 11:36 AM
"BTW, in case any non-Americans have forgotten, we are still dominating the Olympics"

True. But earlier in this thread you mentioned the concept of medals per head of population.

Gold Medals:
US 28 France 10

The US (pop:300mn) has about 5 times France's population (60mn) but less than three times its medals. Based on your first post in this thread, I think we can assume that France has a superior social and political cuulture, no? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 11:51 AM
do you really want to know how absurd it is to compare population to total medals?

India has one medal, they have over a billion people, enough said.

nicky g
08-27-2004, 11:56 AM
"do you really want to know how absurd it is to compare population to total medals?"

Your O'Reilly article (sorru, I remembered it as something you said, which you didn't) did exactly that. It "proved" that Australian attitudes are superior to Canadian ones cos Australia has more medals per head of population.

BeerMoney
08-27-2004, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause they don't kick ass like the US does. What's gonna happen when the US wins Soccer someday?

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 12:50 PM
yeah, I posted the article, but it really wasn't the point I was trying to make. I only posted that because I agreed with O'Reilly on the work ethic of American athletes. I don't quite see the correlation between population and medals. I realize the US has the most athletes there, but you know, they all qualified to be there. I can def see a correlation between number of athletes and medals, but the population model does not fit, IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
sorru, I remembered it as something you said, which you didn't

[/ QUOTE ] It's all goodm chalk it up to being caught up in the moment during this heated debate /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's gonna happen when the US wins Soccer someday?

[/ QUOTE ] a whole lot of Europeans will probably shoot themselves. Watch out world, the US will be very very good in the next world cup. Freddy Adu is a muthafuccin PIMP!