PDA

View Full Version : Poorly Played by All?

07-20-2002, 12:00 PM
1 (loose, but aggressive) early limper, sb limps, and I'm in the bb with 87o.

Flop comes 874r. sb checks, I check, early limper checks (What? I thought for sure it was an automatic bet for him (even with a lone overcard) after both blinds checked).

Turn is an 8. sb bets, I call, early limper calls.

River is a 5. sb checks, I bet, early limper raises, (I'm thinking YES! He made a straight! Great move on smooth calling the turn Kev) sb folds, I re-raise, early limper caps it at 4 bets.

Here's the caveat. sb had pocket tens and the early limper turns over pocket sevens! It turns out I lost a ton of bets playing it the way I did. Obviously the sb and myself were going for a check/raise on the flop, but early limper decides to slowplay his set. In hindsight, this turned out to be a good thing for me, since I had only two outs. When I made the nuts on the turn and the sb bets out, I thought it would be more profitable to let the loose early limper draw at something hopeless like an overpair or a straight. There was also the small chance he already had a decent hand (or would try to make a move) and I'd get a chance to back raise.

I'm not sure if I'm pissed because of the way he played it (if he raises his full house on the turn, I could've back raised and made more), or if it was my own fault I lost money, due to the way I played it. His out of character check on the flop, should've been my first clue that he was huge meaning I should've raised the turn. I normally don't slow play. What does everyone else think? Thanks.

07-20-2002, 02:46 PM
The turn raise is definate, unless the early limper has a part of this he isn't going to call 1 bet after a bet and a call. He had the opportunity to show strength on flop and he didn't so are you hoping to get a bet from him by just smooth calling? I think a raise is the play.

I have 1 other question, why check the flop? On this flop don't you want it raised behind you?

Swiss Cheese

07-20-2002, 03:42 PM
You did OK IMHO.

The check on the flop is debatable. I'd usually bet out in this spot, but you seem to be implying that the early limper is real aggressive and will almost always bet here, so going for a checkraise seems like a decent option.

On the turn, I like your play. As it turns out you missed out on some action, but I don't think there was any reason to put these guys on much at the time. Had these guys had more typical hands, a turn raise would have knocked out the early limper (with something like overcards), and maybe even the SB (with a small pair or a gutshot or something). Since they're normally drawing dead, you don't want to lose them.

The early limper played badly. I think not betting the flop and not raising the turn were mistakes. Ironically, this time his weak play saved him money.

SB should have raised pre-flop with pocket 10s to try to get heads-up. Luckily for you, he didn't, as I imagine you would have folded!

Interesting hand,

Caddy

07-20-2002, 05:30 PM
I think you played it quite well, although I agree with Caddy and have bet the flop. What you are hoping for is the agressive player to raise or call, and maybe the SB to checkraise.

On the turn, I think your play is fine. Yes, you would have collected more bets by raising -- or you could have made everyone fold....And the river went well, I should think. /images/smile.gif

07-21-2002, 01:00 AM
Thanks for your thoughts Swiss-

He had the opportunity to show strength on flop and he didn't so are you hoping to get a bet from him by just smooth calling?

Yes. I was hoping to collect a bet from the early limper and hopefully let him make a hand. I believe it's been said that there is no higher +EV situation to be in, than when someone who is drawing dead to your hand, puts their money in the pot. Also, there was some chance he was slowplaying something. In that case, I'd have gotten 3 bets from him and 2 from the sb. Had I known what he had, I would've raised. Then again, I can't believe HE didn't raise! Oh well.

I have 1 other question, why check the flop? On this flop don't you want it raised behind you?

With such a small pot, I thought it was worth the risk to try for two bets on the flop. Again, if he plays it right and bets HIS hand, I would've gotten quite a few more bets as it turn out. Then again, I'd have also gotten quite a few bets had I bet the flop. Another oh well.

Thanks again.

07-21-2002, 02:45 AM
the flop shows stright possibilities i would bet out and make them pay. you also gain some information about strenght and future play. once they call i would be aggressive until they prove me wrong. do not get to tricky and give free cards.