PDA

View Full Version : One of my first hands at Foxwoods 10/20

Rulnick
08-22-2004, 11:31 PM
Decided today to play 10/20 at Foxwoods as the loose calls at the 5/10 tables have been driving me crazy. Playing for about an hour or so and down to 70 dollars left when this hand started.

3 callers to me in the SB with KQo. I had been the tightest player at the table up until this point, only seeing the flop on about 3 hands prior to this. I raise, a new player at the table UTG +2 calls as does a somewhat loose but very solid player in MP. 3 to the flop for 2 bets.

FLOP: Q,9,4 rainbow

I lead out and bet, UTG+2 calls, MP raises (he has raised many flops that I have seen), I call, UTG+2 calls

TURN: A rainbow

I bet, both call

RIVER: K

I bet all in for 10, both call my 10

Comments appreciated especially on the flop and turn, I feel I had no choice on the river due to my previous play. More to come

exist
08-23-2004, 12:08 AM
1. Yeah I hate loose bad players too. I always try to find better players and play with them at a higher limit.

2. Keep more money in front of you.

3. Call preflop (at least I would, some may disagree).

4. 3 bet the flop.

5. The turn bet is fine especially since you only have $30 and likely the best hand.

6. You bet the river because you have two pair and $10 left. You did not bet the river because something about your previous play in the hand said you should. This bet is a no brainer. If you had to think about it you probably still have a lot to learn before you should play 10-20.

7. Keep posting hands.

8. Buy (if you haven't already) Small Stakes Holdem, The Theory of Poker, and Holdem Poker for Advanced Players.

9. I hope this helps. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

James282
08-23-2004, 12:13 AM
Indeed, if you fancy yourself a serious poker player. Never sit down wit less than 12 big bets. It should be more like 20 at bare bones minimum. You should also re-evaluate your game if bad play frustrates you to the point of quitting a game and choosing a harder one.
-James

chesspain
08-23-2004, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Decided today to play 10/20 at Foxwoods as the loose calls at the 5/10 tables have been driving me crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading at this point...

Ms 45
08-23-2004, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Decided today to play 10/20 at Foxwoods as the loose calls at the 5/10 tables have been driving me crazy. Playing for about an hour or so and down to 70 dollars left when this hand started.

[/ QUOTE ]

O.K. First off, this is a really bad reason to move up in limits. If you're upset, you will not likely play your best, and this is the last thing you want to do at a bigger limit.

As for the hand itself, I think the pre-flop raise is acceptable, but very borderline. With 2 limpers it's an automatic raise, with 4 it's an automatic call, with 3 I prefer to call because I'll be out of position in a multi-way pot with a tenuous hand. If you knew one of the limpers would drop if you raise, as one apparently did, then I think the raise is a very nice play.

The flop bet is nice, but this is definitely a time for a reraise. Q9 is the only hand that will probably raise here that has you beat, and if you play in fear of an unlikely two pair you are not playing well. You've likely got the best of it so fire in a rereaise.

I like the turn bet because in this situation it could likely get checked around.

The river bet is mandatory, but there is no excuse for not having enough chips to get maximum value out of your big hands. You should have either gone to the ATM and gotten enough money so you wouldn't have to go all in, or not been playing so high on a short roll. I think the latter would have been the better choice considering the fact that you were already upset when you sat down.

P.S. don't expect 10/20 games to play much differently than 5/10 kill games

34TheTruth34
08-23-2004, 01:58 AM
I realize this isn't the most constructive response, and I'm sure I'll get flamed for it, but here goes:

If you don't know why you should sit down with more than 70 bucks or why you should three-bet the flop, then you should stop playing poker for real money until you do know the reasons. Good luck.

Rulnick
08-23-2004, 08:24 AM
Just to make note, the only reason I only had 70 dollars left when this pot came around is because I had lost from my original buy in, I did not sit at a 10/20 table with a 70 dollar buy in, just wanted to make that clear.

The UTG+2 showed A,9 for two pair to take down my K,Q, the other guy mucked his hand which was most likely Qx

rory
08-23-2004, 10:41 AM
MP raising the flop is the best thing that could have happened to you, now you can 3-bet and knock the loose-calling UTG+2 out.......... oop

-rory