PDA

View Full Version : Tells are fun, and profitable

07-20-2002, 07:04 AM
$9/$18 Commerce

I have a really weak player to my immediate right. Three limpers, small blind (weak player) calls. I have KJo in BB, I check. 5 handed.

Flop comes:

K 8 8 rainbow.

I'm looking at the SB as the flop comes and his hand subconsciously moves towards his chips as he sees the flop, his conscience then takes over and he checks with the same hand. Anyone who's seen this before knows the motion - it's unmistakable in weaker opponents. Anyway, I did bet the king on the flop - everyone folded to the SB who smooth calls. The turn is a T.

Small Blind bets, I muck.

Icing on the cake, he looks at his two cards and pulls out the 8 showing me that, yes indeed, the tell was very accurate.

I bet the flop because I'm not willing to believe 100% in most of the tells I see. Once I bet, he called, and he then LED into this board, I was fully convinced.

Any comments are fully appreciated,

soda

07-20-2002, 08:57 AM
well played sodapop /images/smile.gif

I agree with your analysis pretty much entirely, and I think it still makes sense to bet the flop in this situation to "make sure" that your tell is correct because it is such an expensive mistake if you are wrong....

shawn keller

07-20-2002, 05:37 PM
I think it still makes sense to bet the flop...it is such an expensive mistake if you are wrong....

Why would it be an expensive mistake to check? The pot is small. There are no draws on this board. And, you only have one overcard to fear.

07-20-2002, 07:03 PM
Dynasty - I think you misunderstood. Shawn is saying bet the flop to see what he does to verify or get more info about the hand because if one is wrong about the tell and folds a winner here THAT is a very expensive mistake.

Claude

07-21-2002, 12:03 AM
No. I understood perfectly. Checking the flop is best when you have this read.

It is not a very expensive mistake to fold the winner here. The pot is very small- just 2.5 big bets. It is not a substantial error to fold the winner in a 2.5 big bet pot. It certainly isn't good. But, it's not a big deal given the read.

Just in case you are in the lead, the free card you are giving your opponents is very unlikely to give them a better hand. Since there is neither a flush or straight draw on the board, you are only concerned with Aces (three outs) and pocket pairs (two outs) beating you.