PDA

View Full Version : My problem in low buyin tournaments

Tharpab
08-22-2004, 09:31 PM
Those tournaments(And a lot of people will know what I mean) is those idiots wont raise preflop almost never(just a min raise then they have AA/KK/QQ/JJ), they just trying to see a cheap flop with trash hoping to get lucky. Then you get a premium bring for a raise... get the blinds, then again do a raise, they all fold but some guy puts you all in, you see AQo and cant help but fold as you know he probably trying a gamble with a pair.

Or sometimes you get a caller, and you hit the flop! Then you play correctly and bet pot or close to it, what does he do looking at a AQ9 flop, folds.
I say ok, as soon the blinds get big those folds will be good for me, then the blinds get like 10% of your stack, you see AKo, great, raise 3.5BB, what happens?People think your on a steal and their egos get involved! They wont let you get away with that steal ever! The big stack looks at his 45o and since he got lucky all the tournament he calls, besides its just five bucks, so they pretty much call almost all my steals.
Then you miss the flop, fire a second barrel, but his ego is so involved he will call with just about any pair.
And when your second barrels works its great, you try another steal two orbits later and get called, yet you miss it again, fire a pot sized knowing you need this pot, he calls and since the blinds are huge you lost more than when it succeeded so now you get crippled and its vegas time.
Your A9 dont hold up, you kick your chair and go to the bathroom for a nightly vomiting session

END.
ps: tips?

Eder
08-22-2004, 09:49 PM
heres my tip...

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 191 hands and saw flop:
- 17 out 24 times while in big blind (70%)
- 7 out 21 times while in small blind (33%)
- 8 out 146 times in other positions (5%)
- a total of 32 out of 191 (16%)
Pots won at showdown - 11 of 13 (84%)
Pots won without showdown - 10

100 0f 2201 left though, but tight is right in these i think

betgo
08-22-2004, 10:59 PM
You are trying to play a book game and the book doesn't work at this level. The books are written by people who play in major tournaments and high stake cash games.

There are a couple of book and common poker wisdom items that do apply. First, you never bluff a calling station. It seems like you are bluffing and semibluffing too much.

Second, you have to adapt to the players you are playing. You have to raise more for value rather than to win the pot or narrow the field. If people are going to call you, take advantage of that when you have a great hand. In general, you need to make plays that work against the people you are playing. This is a very important skill at any level.

If you dislike the lower limit tournaments so much, why not play at a higher level. If the answer is you would lose too much, you better learn to beat the fish first.