PDA

View Full Version : Borgata 40-80, slow play situation #1

nykenny
08-22-2004, 09:27 PM
background:

this hand happened 22nd hour into my weekend session (non-stop). i thought i might be playing OK, but the reality could be a little different. i haven't had any rush or mini rush of any sort whatsoever. been in the negative since i started playing on Friday night.

cast:

about 3 or 4 pros (PROs) in the game, 2 of them are better players than me, and two others are currently playing better than me (:p). 1 or 2 players (GPs) playing very seriously and trying hand to play good. 2 very fishy players (BPs) cold calling a lot and riding multiple bets in between aggressors constantly. 1 very drunk maniacal mega fish (VDMMF) raise and cap with any of the following: Ax, XXs, TJo - AKo, AA-22. and he sometimes at least raises once with J5o and the sort. he will bet any pair or draw and raise with any of these hand at least once on flop. he will cap with most draws or pair hand. most flops are capped after GPs or PROs try to isolate him (doh /images/graemlins/shocked.gif). VDMMF and BPs will stick around with any back door, over card, sometimes for multiple bets.

game:

40-80 hold'em main game, no must-move.

hand:

I picked up AQo utg and limped, folded to VDMMF who raised. 2 BP cold-called. blinds folded. i reraised and VDMMF capped. all called.

flop: 3 players

QQQ. i bet.

thoughts? is this a slow play situation?

Kenny

btw, i lost for the trip after the monster 38hr session of half 20-40 and half 40-80, but at least i was a winner in the 40 game hehe.

mmcd
08-22-2004, 09:32 PM
I like it a lot.

nepenthe
08-22-2004, 09:43 PM
Yes. Given the players' descriptions, this is a very clear flop bet. In fact, I like leading out here a lot as a default play as it helps disguise your hand.

elysium
08-22-2004, 09:49 PM
hi ny

it could be. i like checking here just to see if i can position between two raisers. sometimes, the BP's will be chomping at the bit to get to the multi-lettered dude. checking also allows one or the other to pick up a boat.

it used to be that betting out was the thing to do because there might be a strong hand out there that will give you action. however, like bluffing the turn when the top card pairs is more likely to be called down when you bluff betout, the betout here will more likely be folded to these days. these areas are trendy in hold em. currently in vogue is believeing the strong bettor has the quads and is betting strongly like that to seem like he's making a play. it changes though. next year the fashionable bettor might be betting out with his quads again.

Philuva
08-22-2004, 10:10 PM
Elysium is right on. Right now, in NLT too many people bluff and it is correct to call with little, next year might be a different story.

I like a CR on the turn as no one slow plays quads these days.

astroglide
08-22-2004, 10:31 PM
this hand happened 22nd hour into my weekend session (non-stop)

some things never change /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ulysses
08-22-2004, 10:44 PM
I think the bet is fine, but I think this is a fine spot to checkraise as well. Sometimes w/ the same hands, that action will go bet/raise/fold/fold if you bet, but check/bet/call/call/3-bet/call/call if you check.

3rdCheckRaise
08-23-2004, 12:35 AM
Bet and you will be raised on the turn...

P.S Nice playing with you dude...

nykenny
08-23-2004, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet and you will be raised on the turn...

P.S Nice playing with you dude...

[/ QUOTE ]

same here man, it was fun (not the losing part).

nykenny
08-23-2004, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this hand happened 22nd hour into my weekend session (non-stop)

some things never change /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe, at least this time i was prepared to play at least 16 hours (you can't expect me to play just 5hrs after driving 3.5 hrs to that place, afterall /images/graemlins/tongue.gif).

nykenny
08-23-2004, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the bet is fine, but I think this is a fine spot to checkraise as well. Sometimes w/ the same hands, that action will go bet/raise/fold/fold if you bet, but check/bet/call/call/3-bet/call/call if you check.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree very much. cause the people who cannot beat A high might not be all that encouraged to call from a pre-flop limp reraiser, tho they might not be paying attention.

nykenny
08-23-2004, 11:04 AM
thanks, that was interestingly put, and definitely has some merits in live games today.

mikelow
08-23-2004, 11:08 AM
no it isn't a slowplay situation as you should get some action. Maybe there's a pocket pair that will at least call you.

Also, get some sleep! I don't like long sessions as your play deteriorates with time. I know I get looser and looser
the longer I play. Ah, the joys of 76o in the 19th hour of play!

nykenny
08-23-2004, 11:10 AM
thanks for the response. FWIW, everyone folded. guess they were clued in that I was somewhat playing tight or they just had nothing at all.

Bigfish
08-23-2004, 11:11 AM
Were you the kid that offered the onion rings to everybody? How can you tell others are better than you? I played there too but I have no clue who is better.

nykenny
08-23-2004, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, get some sleep!

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know how some people can stay up forever, after being up Fri, Sat, Sun (work + poker + travel + birthday party), i was very sleepy on Sunday nite. got a good 8 hours of sleep /images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

nykenny
08-23-2004, 11:29 AM
yeah, that was me! but who are u? please tell me /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kenny (i told everyone i was kenny, didn't I? and i said i was from NY, Flushing /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

ike
08-23-2004, 11:30 AM
Against a lot of opponents I like the bet but here I think you should check it and let VDMMF bet it, let the BP's call his clearly meaningless bet, and then probably raise and see what they do. Maybe even wait for the turn to raise, I don't see VDMMF failing to bet this board or the BPs folding to his bets.

ike
08-23-2004, 11:32 AM
Can you seriously do this? Without the aid of drugs? And still play halfdecent poker?

Bigfish
08-23-2004, 11:51 AM
Kenny, I was the guy who took your onion rings. But, why you want to know? We may not play together forever. Alright, I am that drunk player. I was just too drunk to play good poker. Don't count on it to happen next time.

nykenny
08-23-2004, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was just too drunk to play good poker. Don't count on it to happen next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO

nykenny
08-23-2004, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Against a lot of opponents I like the bet but here I think you should check it and let VDMMF bet it, let the BP's call his clearly meaningless bet, and then probably raise and see what they do. Maybe even wait for the turn to raise, I don't see VDMMF failing to bet this board or the BPs folding to his bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is exactly what i was thinking right after everyone folded. so you are right, i couldn't even play half-decent poker at that stage... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

haakee
08-23-2004, 01:52 PM
I would check the flop and see what develops. Somebody is likely to bet. Depending upon the action I may just call or check-raise.

andyfox
08-23-2004, 02:25 PM
Under normal conditions, I like to bet quads on the flop, expecially when three of 'em are on the board, because nobody believes it. Then I check the turn. But it happens so rarely I don't think or worry about it.

But in this case, with the drunk behind, he's likely to bet this flop and probably get some callers.

How do you stay up for 38 hours?

SA125
08-23-2004, 03:00 PM
n/m

nykenny
08-23-2004, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But it happens so rarely I don't think or worry about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

no i doesnt happen rarely, because we are not talking about flopping quads, but flopping huge hands against ppl on a board that likely to have missed everyone.

thats why i wanted to post another hand (#2), but later decided against it. that hand was similar: i had A9, flop 988, turn 9, and i bet in LP both times, but lost both fishes on turn...

oh, andy, to stay up, i drank a lot of water, some soda, little coffee. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

haakee
08-23-2004, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no i doesnt happen rarely, because we are not talking about flopping quads, but flopping huge hands against ppl on a board that likely to have missed everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flopping quads on a 3-of-a-kind flop is different from most of the other situations where you flop a monster. You're likely to get action from pocket pairs and overcards on the flop.