PDA

View Full Version : AQ on the bubble

ThingDo
08-22-2004, 08:58 PM
Hello all.

30+3 Multi on party. 440 players start there are 64 left and top 50 pays. I don't want 50th place money, I want first. Knowing that what would you have done differntly in the hand.

I'm in the SB w/ T 101188 which is about 4k over avg. The table is pretty agressive and there is a raise just about every hand. I have a very tight image, but when I raise I'm getting called by the blinds just about every time. Its very loose and agressive. If its folded to anyone near MP it will be raised pot every time. Its folded to the CO who has me covered by 1k in chips who raies to 900. The blinds are 200/400 at this point. This particular opp. doesn't play very well post flop and is very agressive preflop. The BB in the hand is pretty tight and is down to 2k in chips. I call the raise and the BB folds. Anyone here fold this? Raise this? If I had re-raised him I don't see him folding very many of his holdings. He likes to see flops.

Flop is QcKcAh. I bet the pot which is 2200. Anyone go for a check raise here? Check call? etc.

He pushes. I think for a long time and finally decide to.....results in a later post.

Any and all comments on how I played the hand are greatly appreciated.

ThingDo
08-22-2004, 09:27 PM
bump

betgo
08-22-2004, 11:31 PM
I would reraise preflop. I am not sure how much to raise. You have a very strong hand against a loose late position raiser. AK is not the kind of hand to trap with.

You have to call the reraise on the flop. You are only beaten by a set or JT.

betgo
08-22-2004, 11:37 PM
Oops, I was thinking you had AK, but it doesn't really matter. The same comments apply.

ThingDo
08-23-2004, 01:28 AM
I'd like to hear more about this.

sdplayerb
08-23-2004, 05:46 AM
I'm reraising. I don't really want to see the flop and there is plenty out there. And if he reraises you can get away from it..plus what you are getting away from is a flop that could trap you here.

I'm calling the allin. If it was a $200+ event, I might fold. But I don't see people doing that massive overbet with the monsters that would have you beat.
I'd probably put him on A9-AJ, KQ.

I'm gathering you lost though.

woodguy
08-23-2004, 08:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
30+3 Multi on party. 440 players start there are 64 left and top 50 pays. I don't want 50th place money, I want first. Knowing that what would you have done differntly in the hand.

I'm in the SB w/ T 101188 which is about 4k over avg.

[/ QUOTE ]

If 440 start, then all the chips would be 440,000 and you would have 25% of the chips.

Did you mean 10,000 ish?

Was 900 this guys usual raise?

You bet the pot and he pushed, you have to give him credit for a good hand.

That being said, if I was in your spot I'd call, its just too strong to lay down, and if I'm beat, I'm beat.

I'd also raise about 1000 PF to see if he was stealing, if played back at, I'd lay down.

regards,
woodguy

37offsuit
08-23-2004, 08:16 AM
Well, you don't know where you stand here. That's why a preflop raise is in order with a hand like AQ. You want to either win the pot preflop or find out better where you are at for flops just like this one.

Since you didn't repop him preflop, he knows you likely don't have a set of aces or kings. So the range of hands he can put you on here are a weak ace, AQ, KQ, TJ, TT, JJ or two clubs.

You don't know where he's at at all here. Had you raised preflop and he called, you can put him on more hands when this situation comes up, and if you raise him and he reraises you preflop, you can get away from your hand.

I'd call here. You have a strong hand and you have redraws if he flopped the straight. My guess is he flopped something like top pair with the straight draw at least, and maybe a hand like AT or AJc for top pair with the gut shot and nut flush draws. You didn't say what suit your ace or queen were, that would factor a bit into my decision. If you have the ace of clubs, for instance, it makes your hand a tinny bit stronger and gives you an easier read on your opponent.

BigJohn043
08-23-2004, 11:41 AM
A reraise on the flop is definitely in order. You would like to win it right there and if you get a caller you know you are up against something real. Just calling tells you nothing and lets a bluffer raise see the flop for free.

This is a great flop for you. I am going for the check raise every time here. If he then calls me with JT I at least have some outs.

Given the way you played it, I think you have to call here. He probably has an ace and if he has AK you are toast. If he has a JT you have some outs. I think he has a middle A or maybe a10.

ThingDo
08-23-2004, 03:45 PM
Sorry, I had 10188 chips not 100k plus. Thanks for all the advice guys, I called his all in. He had JK and rivered a K. I think calling the all-in was correct but so it goes.