PDA

View Full Version : Advice on whether to fold a set

NNH
08-22-2004, 08:31 PM
Here's the hand. $10+1 Party. Questions below.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed)

UTG (t395)
MP1 (t900)
MP2 (t1630)
CO (t865)
Button (t2543)
Hero (t700)
BB (t967)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t100</font>, BB calls t50.

Flop: (t200) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t125</font>, BB calls t125.

Turn: (t450) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, BB calls t200.

River: (t850) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t275 (All-In)</font>, BB calls t275.

Final Pot: t1400

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Js Kh (three of a kind, jacks).
BB shows 7h 3h (flush, jack high).
Outcome: BB wins t1400. </font>

1. Should I be trying to raise the BB out of this hand? I'm thinking if that was my intention, I should've raised to about 150-200, instead of 100. Is my thinking correct here?

2. With the set on the flop should I have overbet the pot?

3. Once the turn hit, would a check be a better choice? When he called on the turn I knew I was beat.

4. Probably should have checked. I was pot committed by now, and would leave myself w/ about 275 and the blinds going up to 50/100 in about 4 more hands. I also had the K /images/graemlins/heart.gif for some extra outs.

Rip away.

donny5k
08-23-2004, 03:17 AM
I'll say it first: you had trips, not a set. Raise more preflop, and after that you were pot committed, played it ok, surprised he didnt raise you in on the turn. Really though what is the purpose of your minraise preflop? You want to take the blinds with that hand and be happy, or at least limit the number of hands he could have (i.e. pocket pair or jack with a worse kicker). I might make the same call with any 2 suited cards with position.

parappa
08-23-2004, 06:30 AM
A set's where 2 of the 3 are in your hand, trips is where 2 of the 3 are on the board.

The 2xbb pre-flop raise isn't enough to steal the blinds--bb will call with most hands here. So, raise it up to to 3xbb or 150.

Then, on the flop when he calls, you'll have 300 in the pot. You need to bet at least the amount of the pot to ruin the odds for the flush draw (really you need to bet more), but it doesn't matter here because since you only have 550 you should push on the flop. It will the be correct for just about any hand he could have (other than a set of 2s) to fold, and sometimes he'll call with the 4-flush, make it, and take all your chips, sometimes he'll call with the 4-flush and miss and you'll double up, but most of the time he'll fold.