PDA

View Full Version : Another self-serving bitch and moan thread

dfscott
08-22-2004, 07:51 PM
Well, I'm in another downturn, and it always seems like I pop out of them when I post something about it in the forums, so I thought I'd reinforce that little superstitious belief with this post.

Upon building my BR to $1200 (300BB for 2/4), I started replacing one of my three 1/2 tables with a 2/4 table. Since I've made that little adjustment on Friday, I've taken a $163 hit (not sure exactly how many BB, since it's mixed limits, but I'm guessing about 60).

In order to add at least something useful to this post, I've made two observations about this particular downturn.

a) Most of the damage has been on the 1/2 tables, not the 2/4. To me, this indicates that it's more indicative of normal variance as opposed to taking on a new level.

b) The downturn itself is really not bothering me that much, or at least not as much as previous ones have. I'm not sure if I've crossed the "Threshold of Misery" or if I'm just coming to grips with the fact that this is how poker is.

I'm going to climb back in the saddle tonight. Sunday nights are usually tough, so my thoughts are that if I do take another hit, it won't erode my confidence too much. Is this weak thinking, ala a self-fulfilling prophesy?

Blarg
08-23-2004, 12:14 AM
Tune in again next time to this Bat-station and find out!

I'm getting pretty sick of downturns too. Kind of mirroring your situation myself these past couple days. Playing the occasional 3/6 as well as 2 or 3 2/4 tables, and it feels like I haven't even had a chance to fight at the higher limit. Just getting a lot of crap and getting drawn out on by inside straights or bottom pairs like crazy whenever I do get something. Amazing to me the crap I see people show down, and annoying when it spanks my pocket aces or broadways on the last card. Oh well. Down $200 in 3/6 in a couple days. Small change for the limit, but just frustrating. Hasn't affected my play though, that I can see. Just think this constant swinging up and down gets wearying sometimes. Maybe I need a nap and a spanking.

Good luck turning your luck around. It eventually gets there, just takes a lot of patience sometimes.

dfscott
08-23-2004, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tune in again next time to this Bat-station and find out!

[/ QUOTE ]

When we last left our intrepid hero, the evil villain Dr. Suckout had him tied up to the Mega-Bankroll Depletor. But by following the teachings of Master Miller, he rivered a flush and escaped the villain's evil clutches...

Seriously, call it the placebo effect, superstition, or dumb luck, but I began the recovery from my brief downslide tonight, making up 1/2 of the weekend's loss. I'm now back to overall positive (barely) for both 1/2 and 2/4 (1.6BB/100 and 3.5BB/100 respectively).

Good luck, Blarg -- hopefully, you're next!

Blarg
08-23-2004, 02:03 AM
Thanks! And grats on your come-back. By the way, 3.5 BB is pretty darn good. Doesn't seem like much to feel bad about at all there. Even the 1.6 BB at 1/2 isn't sucking badly at all.

Also by the way -- Sundays are my best day. I almost mentioned that in the last post but didn't want to risk bumming you out. Looks like you got a good Sunday in too though. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

dfscott
08-23-2004, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks! And grats on your come-back. By the way, 3.5 BB is pretty darn good. Doesn't seem like much to feel bad about at all there. Even the 1.6 BB at 1/2 isn't sucking badly at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, neither of these are really even enough hands to count (300 at 2/4 and 3000 at 1/2). It's more a psychological thing than anything. When I load PT and see red, I think: "bad." Green is good.

[ QUOTE ]
Also by the way -- Sundays are my best day. I almost mentioned that in the last post but didn't want to risk bumming you out. Looks like you got a good Sunday in too though. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Too weird. There's something about Sunday, but I don't know what it is. It's like anchovies. You either really like it or really hate it -- very few people are lukewarm about it.

Thythe
08-23-2004, 05:54 PM
I think I'd pick Sunday night over Monday through Wednesday nights anyday.