PDA

View Full Version : Live $1/$2 PL - AA in the BB

SmileyEH
08-22-2004, 07:11 PM
This hand took place last night. Relevant stacks - me in the BB ~ $230, button ~ $140.

Play was folded around to the button who open limped. He had joined the game about two hours before and played fairly tight although pushed me out of a couple of pots I think I may have folded the best hand. His play is fairly straightforward, but again I suspected he may of put a couple moves on me earlier. My table image at the time was slightly loose aggressive although I had enough respect to take down most pots uncontested.

The SB folded and I checked in the BB with AA.

Flop came down JJ8r. I bet the pot of $5.

The button immediately raised the pot. $15 back to me.

Your plan for the rest of the hand?

-SmileyEH

SmileyEH
08-23-2004, 03:15 AM
I guess this hand isn't as interesting as I thought...

Anyway, I called the raise.

The turn was a 7. I checked, the button bet out $25 and I checkraised to $75 straight. Comments on the turn play?

-SmileyEH

mikech
08-23-2004, 03:46 AM
Not raising preflop was your first mistake, but since you were out of position perhaps you decided just to play a small pot (this being a PL game); in that case you shouldn't have bet out at this kind of a flop. If you limp with aces you have to be willing to throw 'em away, no sense losing a huge chunk of your stack when so little went in preflop and it looks like you're beat. I think you doubled him up, I can't put him on any hand that you can beat other than a pure bluff. Either he has a J, or he semi-bluffed the flop with an OESD, which he hit when the 7 came.

SmileyEH
08-23-2004, 11:25 PM
I was actually the button in this hand with QJjo. My opponent was a strong player - probably the best at the table - but I got the best of him in all our confrontations.

On the turn I bet the pot, and was checkraised another $50. I called fearing a set, but more concerned about not being paid off by a worse hand if I reraised all in.

The BB checked the river in the dark. It paired the board 88, and I moved in more about $40. The BB was stunned and eventually called.

He said that he put me on QQ or KK and that he thought my attempt to trap him preflop had backfired.

Raking in the $250+ pot was a great finish to the session.

-SmileyEH

GimmeDaWatch
08-24-2004, 09:04 AM
You're opponent was the best player at the table, and he was stunned that you had a J and had put you on Queens or Kings? This is all a little confusing to me, but if Im BB I either fold to a raise on the flop or call and DEFINITELY fold the turn, b/c as said the semi-bluff draw got there as well. I love Aces just as much as the next guy, but not when Im raised on a paired board.